Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Syndicate : PA28RT or M20K231 ? Prebuy ?

So, I don’t know how to put it without this becoming a bloated post…

The reason for posting is that I have the opportunity to buy a share in 2 different aircrafts :

• either 1/3 or 1/4 of a PA28 RT Arrow IV (around 1980?) with a recent new/OH engine but only 1 or 2 axis autopilot (don’t have all the details yet)
  • or 1/2 of a M20K 231 1984 with engine OH 2014 and prop OH 2015 (no other details yet, maybe it needs a mode S XPDR from the pictures)

Both aircrafts are IFR flown and have similar values (maybe a little less for the PA28) so it makes the PA 28 financially more interessant.
(Note : for the PA 28 I know that the engine was OH/replaced because DAC LUX forbids to go more than 50% beyond TBO (calendar or otherwise) and I suspect it is the same for the Mooney)

My sights were initially set on a sole ownership of an M20K 252 (my preferred choice so far), but that pill may still be a little too big to swallow and in ELLX it seems impossible to get a hangar which makes me very reluctant as well

Other possible options could be to:

• try and rent an M20R from an owner that I know flies it little but will very likely NOT be keen to do it (and I’ve met him only once or twice)
  • try and offer to buy a share of the same M20R (probably the same caveat but at least it would show my good will in terms of care of the machine)
  • rent the PA28RT for a while (another pilot I know has bought a 20k€ block of hours) if they accept it.

I am a bit reluctant to go to the shares because I am afraid to regret it afterwards (not having waited to be able to buy my own “dream” 252) as these are not really liquid assets…
I would also be content with a share in the M20M but I think it is not likely to happen.

I did not research these aircraft too much yet, but I know 2 things:

• 20k ft ceiling for the turbo arrow, sounds a bit lame
  • the 231 has the reputation of running hot, which might not be good for engine life in general (have not checked its ceiling yet)

Let’s say I go with the shares, what would you choose ?
Should I do a pre-buy as if buying solely ?

Thanks !

Last Edited by PapaPapa at 11 Aug 17:11
ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Nope, it’s bloated…

On the Turbo Arrow, check what aftermarket mods it has. Wastegate, intercooler and speedkits transform the aircraft.

Generally speaking, the Mooney will always be 10-15 knots faster for the same fuel flow, but the Arrow will be a bit more comfortable and less expensive to buy.

If you can, fly them both and see what you like more.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Aug 17:30
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

having flown 15 hrs on Arrow IV and 20 hrs on M20R I would personally pick up M20 – more fun to fly, feeling is great . It´s more demanding, you need think ahead more than other airplanes, especially not to arrive on final with 10+ kts. Some people will tell you Mooney is too small – not sure about that. Once you fold yourself into pilot seat, it´s absolutely ok – but M20R is the extra long body inherited from the Porsche modification. Do you plan to carry folks in the rear bench?

LKKU, LKTB

I intend to fly it with my family to go places and maybe tour a bit in Europe
So there will be a 4 y.o. in the back seat.

@boscomantico : can these also be made on EASA-reg ? I’m not sure it has any…

Do you think I should/could do a prebuy ?

It all depends what sort of places you want go to. The Mooney is less tolerant of uneven grass / turf due to landing gear design – it tends to bounce and any bouncing should be checked / met with a go-around very quickly, because the prop is closer to the ground than the Piper. Having said that I’m based on a 600m grass strip (with trees at one end, bubble hangars at the other and a perpendicular taxiway at both ends), so fly it by the book and it works.

You should check whether it has the -MB engine with the auto wastegate fitted. These have done away with the heat problem. Ceiling…. I wouldn’t necessarily take a kid to oxygen altitudes unless someone watches constantly that s/he doesn’t remove the oxygen cannula…

Also keep in mind that with part M Light – if it comes through as advertised – you can stick your finger up at TBOs.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 12 Aug 09:24

You’ll probably have found this via Google M20K 231 flight review you can also ad an intercooler and aut. wastegate to the LB engine (as is standard with the MB engine of the 252). I love flying the Mooney (M20K 252), it is comfortable with my 2 meters length. When flying with the kids it does get a tad cramped, but still OK, maybe the Arrow wil do a better job space-wise. I guess that parts for the Arrow will be more easy to find then parts for the Mooney. Sometimes I had the Mooney sitting in the hangar while we were searching for a part. Last time it was an induction tube that needed replacing.

I’m with @Shorrick_Mk2 on the gear and prop clearance, some airfields I just won’t go to.

Last Edited by Bobo at 12 Aug 09:41
EHTE, Netherlands

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Also keep in mind that with part M Light – if it comes through as advertised – you can stick your finger up at TBOs.

I hope you are right…
Because for now there is this in Luxembourg
http://www.dac.public.lu/documentation/nav/Airworthiness-Notice-2014-01.pdf

No TBO extension, and calendar extensions possible if respecting some rule but limited to 50%
Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

It all depends what sort of places you want go to.

family friends scattered around France + northern Italy +UK and mostly IFR once I get my ticket, so few grass surfaces probably

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

You should check whether it has the -MB engine with the auto wastegate fitted

I suppose you mean the -LB as the -MB is for the 252 and I don’t think it will be found often in a 231 in Europe

Last Edited by PapaPapa at 12 Aug 09:59

I have a fair amount of time in the PA28RT-201T. I loved that airplane. It flies to FL200 and even higher at a very decent TAS (160 kts IIRC) which is nice to get above weather or high terrain (like the Rocky Mountains in my case)

Need to watch temperatures like milk on the stove. You should have a good engine monitor. The 2 rear cylinders (out of 6) have a tendency to crack. It was very sensitive in the pitch axis. Really needed to fly it with only two fingers. It also needed to be leaned prior to landing at high elevation airports, otherwise the engine would stop on the runway.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 12 Aug 10:03
LFPT, LFPN

Sorry yes – LB engine.

37 Posts
Sign in to add your message