Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tablet software reviews

I am planning to write a review of in-flight tablet software for VFR and IFR flight. I’ve contacted several companies who make such software, then Peter and I will do an IFR flight somewhere, probably in May. There will likely also be some VFR sightseeing. Finally I’ll write it up and publish it as an article, or series of articles, on EuroGA.

So far I’ve contacted PocketFMS (agreed), OzRunways (agreed), Jeppesen (agreed), RocketRoute (declined), Garmin (no reply yet), SkyDemon (no reply yet).

I’m limiting it to systems with in-flight moving maps, rather than other apps such as weather, circuit direction aids, W&B calculators, etc. My intention is to try to do a like-for-like comparison, whereby I take a given route and enter it in each system, evaluating how easy it is to do so, and what kind of in-flight performance the system offers for typical tasks – getting en-route information, dealing with course changes, etc.

Is there any other product that people think should be included?

And is there any particular aspect of the software that people think should be covered? It’s true that mixing IFR and VFR is tricky as each kind of flying has different requirements, but clearly there is also overlap and plenty of IFR pilots are also interested in VFR, if perhaps not so much the other way round. If you’re a hardcore IFR flyer at FL250 crossing contents then you’d want something different (and/or probably already have something panel mounted), and if you’re a VFR farm strip person then anything with a decent moving map, or indeed a 10 year old paper chart, might suit you; I am aiming at the middle ground between these two extremes.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

and if you’re a VFR farm strip person then anything with a decent moving map, or indeed a 10 year old paper chart, might suit you; I am aiming at the middle ground between these two extremes.

I think you got it all backward. An up to date and current map including all these little fields with frequencies, positions, telephone numbers etc etc is what is ideally needed. Up to date and correct airspace structures is also vital. You are also somewhat correct. The map itself is not that important, the terrain does not change very fast

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Air Navigation Pro maybe?

Last Edited by Emir at 26 Apr 12:47
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

An up to date and current map including all these little fields with frequencies, positions, telephone numbers etc etc is what is ideally needed

You’re not wrong. But my point really was that different folks have folks have different requirements. In the extreme the strip flyer who never leaves the circuit doesn’t even that.

Administrator

Air Navigation Pro maybe?

Excellent. Have emailed them to ask.

Administrator

Airbox Runway HD perhaps?

EHLE

Airbox Runway HD perhaps?

Thanks. Have written to them.

Administrator

It’s probably outside the scope of your review but I would be interested to know how the tablet apps compare to the experimental panel mounted solutions like the MGL Discovery Lite. These combine a moving map with engine monitoring and AHRS displays.

EHLE

It’s probably outside the scope of your review but I would be interested to know how the tablet apps compare to the experimental panel mounted solutions like the MGL Discovery Lite. These combine a moving map with engine monitoring and AHRS displays.

If someone wants to lend me an aeroplane with one installed I’ll happily write it up! Or more realistically, takes me for a suitable flight.

Administrator

This good thread might also be relevant.

People use these things in so many different ways.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
121 Posts
Sign in to add your message