Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taking my MU2 to Europe (Mode S EHS etc)

But that is only because you limit (severely) the choice of EuroGA flyin destinations

Do I? We had a consultation, and somebody has to make an Executive Decision Otherwise you end up with the situation we had in 2013 where we had a vote and most votes were by people who were not actually in a position to fly there (or anywhere, in some cases). And if people have to stop enroute 2x you will get a poor turnout. Same with VFR-only, and same with grass.

I was talking about being pressure to cancel IFR.

No pressure. You can file “I” to say Redhill

Or maybe I misunderstood you?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mike look at this website.

http://www.rocketroute.com/blog/pilots-guide-across-the-pond?mc_cid=7026fc119c&mc_eid=323b9fb156

They also have trip support while in continent.

Dont just look at who makes the trip x Atlantic. There are a lot of professional ferry pilots going back and forth. I met a few. They have a different risk tolerance than me and probably you.

I would call the tower at BGBW to get a condition report and forcast from them. They will give you much better help than the wx people remote from Narsarsuaq. I took Capt Eds Transatlantic course. Ferry Pilot and his certificate gave me a discount on insurance fees.

Dont worry too much about IFR as long as you can afford to go to commercial airports. The really good thing here (in Europe) is that the route you get validated is the route you get. Once airborne they will offer shortcuts. Yes you all heard that right a positive comment. If there were an aviation TripAdvisor I would make a report.

The other thing here is the “Dont ask ,dont tell” technique.

KHTO, LHTL

AnthonyQ wrote:

Mike, I would recommend you download Skydemon on your iPad and pay the subscription… It is the Foreflight of Europe….good for VFR and IFR….

Yes, will do. And it nicely has an Android option (I run Android tablet and phone, use phone as backup display device). And it covers the US as well, so might be suitable for here.

I run Garmin Pilot here in the US. They have a Europe chart option as well, but the VFR coverage is oddly limited and costly:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/europe-add-ons/europe-vfr-ifr-charts-1-year-garmin-pilot-add-on-/prod510879.html

$500, VFR coverage only Germany and countries that touch it mostly, and the NE quarter of France (WTF?).

So it looks like SkyDemon is the way to go so far.

Mike C.

KEVV

Aviathor wrote:

By basing yourself in the UK (outside Schengen) you will encounter some issues with immigration many places in Europe. That could limit your choices of destinations.

Understood. I will be spending my time at Harlaxton College near Grantham and putting the plane close by makes it useful. Due to the college schedule (classes Mon-Thu, off Fri-Sun), that limits the times we can travel. Putting the plane outside UK obviously doesn’t work.

Both factors (being in UK and having 3 days for trips) suggest the best plan is to fly into an airport on the continent with customs making it a single hop. The cost of an additional aircraft cycle and additional airport fees to move to another airport after that aren’t worth it.

It is nice that on the return trip, filing GAR means I don’t have to stop at a customs airport coming back. Or did I misunderstand that?

PS: Visit https://www.harlaxton.ac.uk/ to for details on the college. Awesome, grade 1 British Heritage site. Like living in Hogwarts with secret passageways, students and faculty all in the same building. You even take the train from Kings Cross, though not platform 9 3/4.

KEVV

It is nice that on the return trip, filing GAR means I don’t have to stop at a customs airport coming back. Or did I misunderstand that?

You are correct for the UK end. However not being an EU citizen (I assume) you will need to give a lot of notice – may be as much as 24hrs. I think the latest guidance notes are here

The other airport will need customs/immigration as appropriate because no other country has the UK GAR system.

Administrator

C210_Flyer wrote:

Dont just look at who makes the trip x Atlantic. There are a lot of professional ferry pilots going back and forth. I met a few. They have a different risk tolerance than me and probably you.

While that may be so, flying a single engine piston across the North Atlantic in February can’t be risk compensated for by being a professional. The engine doesn’t know who the pilot is. My equipment, being twin, turboprop, known ice, 1400 HP, 300 knots, provides a great deal of risk mitigation.

I’m no rookie, either. 3500 hours total time, almost 1000 in the MU2, professional training every 6 months, often in simulator, much like an airline pilot. I’m comfortable if I have to shoot an ILS down to 200 and 1/2 mile, with an engine feathered, in icing conditions, with a failed autopilot, in a 20 knot crosswind. Lots of approaches to minimums in real life. I fly in almost any weather. The actual flying of the airplane isn’t the issue for me.

Dont worry too much about IFR as long as you can afford to go to commercial airports. The really good thing here (in Europe) is that the route you get validated is the route you get.

My concern is a combination of not having any operational experience in Europe, and the fact that things happen QUICKLY in my airplane. You cannot be taking a lot of time to figure out what to do as you climb 2500 FPM or cover a nm in 12 seconds. My speeds in the terminal area are like jets, maybe faster than some. For example, ILS is flown at ~130 knots on the glideslope.

So here in the US, I take care to really understand air traffic procedures so I’m not muddling about while in the air. Being surprised or confused is not a good thing. So I am trying to download into my brain what it is like to fly IFR in Europe so that I am prepared to do it for real and do it safely. I’ve been reading the trips reports to get a sense of what happens. Thanks to all who have written those up.

One concern I have is that the forum experience is mostly with aircraft unlike mine. I think an MU2 is going to have a different experience, both flying and the logistics, than say a TB20. So I have to allow for that as well. I’m curious if there are turboprop owners on this forum and how their experience is perhaps different.

I have to ask you to tell me more about this.

Really, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Mike C.

KEVV

mciholas wrote:

I have to ask you to tell me more about this.

I guess Peter is referring to the practise of doing things which while perfectly safe is prohibited in some countries while quite acceptable in others. One famous example is that when departing a VFR airport in Germany to pick up an IFR clearance in the air, even when you get the clearance you have to remain VFR until the MVA as the clearance isn’t valid until that point. In other countries there is no such restriction and German pilots are said to ignore that particular restriction as a matter of course.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

He might have thought about the famous VMC bubble around aircraft in Germany. You take off in OVC010 from a VFR airfield and get told “IFR starts at 3500. Maintain VMC”. You read that back and until you reach that altitude you are inside the VMC bubble.

Frequent travels around Europe

I’m no rookie, either. 3500 hours total time, almost 1000 in the MU2, professional training every 6 months, often in simulator, much like an airline pilot. I’m comfortable if I have to shoot an ILS down to 200 and 1/2 mile, with an engine feathered, in icing conditions, with a failed autopilot, in a 20 knot crosswind. Lots of approaches to minimums in real life. I fly in almost any weather. The actual flying of the airplane isn’t the issue for me.

Sure but how often do you fly an NDB approach in a non radar environment or operate where there is no alternate? Crossing the Atlantic is not that hard but nor should its challenges be underestimated.

EGTK Oxford

One concern I have is that the forum experience is mostly with aircraft unlike mine. I think an MU2 is going to have a different experience, both flying and the logistics, than say a TB20

I fly the ILS at 130kt too… same as the MU-2. Is that wrong?

(there is a POV that the GS intercept should take place at Vlo (the max gear operating speed) because that gives the most expedient arrival. One has a number of miles to slow down while on the GS and, with the gear out and Flap 1, this is easy. 90-100kt at the MDA (200ft, say))

There are some areas in European GA where people routinely tell little lies.

Often ATC asks you to confirm you are VMC; the answer is always Yes.

Often ATC won’t give you a shortcut, but if you ask for a similar heading “to avoid” you will usually get it.

But if you fly between “proper” airports, most of these will be in CAS and you don’t have to lie about stuff. Your limits will be the RVR, and you should not bust the minima. Departure minima will be limited only by the airport’s operating manual. Your IFR DC will clear you to say FL100 right away.

It is when departing Class G airfields that things can get ambiguous. In the UK this is OK (you could depart “VFR” into OVC004 at Shoreham, and IFR would be absolutely no question) but elsewhere people end up climbing up pretending to be VMC while collecting the DC.

The US is a lot tighter on these tricks but compensates for this with a much more accessible IR which has been the envy of Europe for decades. Europe has treated the IR as the hallmark of the “professional pilot” (the US uses the ATP for that purpose) and has made it very hard to get. Also the US has taxpayer funded controllers and a recognition that that is the right way to go. Europe doesn’t want CAS (even Class E) all the way down because they would have to spend a lot of money providing the IFR controller service in there. Hence half the people end up playing the system here.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message