Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taking my MU2 to Europe (Mode S EHS etc)

Almost nobody is radiating it, apart from airliners. Is it mandatory on Part 25 aircraft, or something like that?

Not really true any more Peter. I see lots of ADS-B traffic now. Only increasing.

For example all of the CAE training aircraft are radiating which makes it very useful coming back into Oxford.

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Feb 15:46
EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

That one is from 2005.

In what way is this actually a problem? I don’t think the DAP set has changed since then.

LSZK, Switzerland

In Europe, more than anywhere else, you’ll benefit from going to the smaller fields or less controlled ones. Most European airports suffer from big-airport-hubris even when they have 2 movements a day and zero traffic. So they tap GA for the 5 security people on staff and the ridiculous x-ray machines, the airport managers, fire trucks and ramp people they have to employ.

On small airfields, none of that exists. There you can fly under the radar, so to speak. And the fees are reasonable. Unfortunately, many of those don’t always have an IAP. So my suggestion would be to file and depart IFR, then when you get closer and see it’s doable, cancel and divert VFR. If you can do VFR all the way, even better – no route charges. Above FL195, there is normally class C airspace. Problem is how to get there without passing class A (and an IFR clearance) in the busy areas. I don’t know if you have to climb through class A on an IFR clearance, then cancel when you’re up in class C if that still triggers enroute charges? Maybe JasonC would know?

It’s one of the reasons I’m a longtime Commander fan. The MU-2 is no different in this regard. They are both capable of going in to grass or gravel fields and use shorter strips. Although grass is not very prevalent here in the US, I still can benefit by going to the smaller, shorter airfield closer to town, where parking is free, rather than getting gouged by Signature on their jet ramp. Europe is just like that, but to a much higher degree.

A little tip about Sweden – they have a yearly landing card you can buy from Swedavia. I don’t think it’s weight dependent as long as sub 5700kg. It’s about $500 and with that you can land at pretty much all smaller airports for free. Might not be worth it if you’re only going to Stockholm (where it won’t count at ESSB), but if you plan on doing some touring there.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 Feb 17:41

Adam, above Fl195 is all class C or higher. While it is class C VFR is banned there.

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Feb 18:03
EGTK Oxford

Just because I checked recently on my own behalf: When and if you go to ESSB and Stockholm, there is no handling below 5700kg.

The fee’s are:

250 Skr + tax for landing.
281 Skr + tax for 24hr parking.

So, as you can see, very reasonable. However. If you park on the East Apron, they charge you a 450kr + tax in a pickup fee, to come get you and drive you back to the plane in the car (you’re not allowed to walk to aircraft). But you can park on the northern part, on the so called Linta apron and there is no charge there. But you’ll have to negotiate with the local businesses there how to get in and out of airport.

Or you can go to Grafair, the only FBO, and just let them handle all for you. But expect to pay more.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 Feb 18:03

AdamFrisch wrote:

ESSB

ESSB is Stockholm Bromma right? I was under the impression it was now more or less closed to GA, that they had torn up the north parking and would soon shut down all togethe?

Last Edited by Aviathor at 14 Feb 19:52
LFPT, LFPN

Not at all yet. But on the public apron, there is a 48-hour parking limit. Need to park at Grafair ($$$) to stay longer. Some details here. Photos here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Feb 20:14
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum. I lurk over at Beechtalk and have valued your contributions there.

As an occasional visitor with my Jetprop into Europe from Asia, I know exactly the type of questions and confusions you are facing.
I never learnt to fly in the UK, and having experienced IFR in rest of world, was frankly appalled at the disjointed and inconsistent application of IFR which the UK locals, especially, have got accustomed to, and feel is quite normal.
As far as I am concerned it is quite third world, and as you have derived is a mismatch of VFR DIY separation and reliance on open sky. I say this as a British Citizen with no agenda living in Asia with its own special aviation challenges. :-)

Having said all that, it can be made to work, and by no means a reason to leave the aircraft at home. My experience of the UK system is that it is more the exception compared to the rest of Europe. If you stick to IFR within the Eurocontrol system up in the flight levels, you will for the most part be in familiar territory. The main gotchas IME are the airports that exist in an island of airspace surrounded by class G. At these airports, you are on your own pretty much until you are cleared into controlled airspace (CAS) by a separate radio call, so listen very carefully to the clearances at what altitudes the CAS restriction applies and do not go barreling up. TAS is a godsend at these times.

Where I do shudder are pure VFR flights, which require an inordinate amount of local airspace knowledge, so I avoid them.

I use EuroFPL for all my flight filing, and Autorouter – accessible from here, for the trickier destinations, not served by straightforward airway routings.

The reward for such perseverance are some stunning destinations and experiences. 1,000 Nm from the UK takes you to the most diverse contrasts you can imagine, and well worth the hassle factor. You have a fine magic carpet, so use it to the max.

A few practical points following what you have been asking. Until recently I only had mode S, and never had any issues in any of the main European airspace.
A lot of the smaller regional UK airports at least have limited opening hours, and many shut at sunset, so night time ops can be an issue.

I do not have HF, and again have had no problems operating solely on VHF at FL260-270 from Asia all the way to Europe, or on the original ferry flight across the NAT route you are planning.

I do manually add Prist during refuelling if I am executing a long leg of over four hours, and stand there dispensing with the can whilst the refueller pumps the fuel in over wing.

In terms of insurance, there is a minimum European cover required, I think it is USD 5M, which I had to show when applying for permits outside of Europe, but do not recall ever having to show it once inside the Eurocontrol zone.

Pack a get home spares box, the stuff that will leave you stranded if it lets go, like inner tubes, and belts etc, with the tools to fit them. Getting any kind of support at some airports is a real nightmare.

And above all enjoy the experience and have fun!

E

Last Edited by eal at 15 Feb 02:52
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

AdamFrisch wrote:

But you can park on the northern part, on the so called Linta apron and there is no charge there. But you’ll have to negotiate with the local businesses there how to get in and out of airport.

The Linta area is the southern part. Otherwise you’re right. As Aviathor observed, there is no parking in the northern part anymore. The official GA parking is on the east apron.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
89 Posts
Sign in to add your message