Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tannkosh fly-in cancelled

It’s amazing Jan what you don’t like and what you don’t do and to which epic details you go about it…

… wait till we meet in person (if ever…) !

Last Edited by at 27 Oct 19:53
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Sad for those who love this kind of event – myself don’t, I hate crowds.

Same with me. I live quite close to Tannheim and Hahnweide, but I have never been there to see the airshow. For me it is either big professional aviation trade fairs like Le Bourget or Farnborough (and the much smaller German shows ILA and Aero every now and then) or small local flying club open days.
One of the organisers of the Hahnweide show instructs at the same FTO as I do. When I see him next time, I will ask him for more details about the cancellation.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Never been ther either. From the aerial photo it looks very crowded and limited space. Begs the question why not move it to an airfield with enough space that the spectators are further from the display area?

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

Because it would be less fun.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Because it would be less fun.

I would say that depends on what the individual considers to be fun. In a different thread some time ago I already wrote, that one of my biggest fears in aviation is to see someone crash. That’s even one of my recurrent nightmares – luckily very rare. Apart from that I have absolutely no fear of flying, but amateur aviators performing in front of a large crowd are a sure recipe for an accident every other year (as both Tannheim and Hahnweide have seen in the past).

EDDS - Stuttgart

Given that both Hahnwiede and Tannkosh have decided to cancel for 2015 I have some doubts that they were direct decisions by the relevant organisers, I propose the speculation that they had no other choice. I speculate that something else is going on the the background, and whether additional government regulation or punitive insurance changes, both would give me cause for concern.

Before moving airfields, or cancelling events, there is always a lot that can be done to improve safety and minimise the risk; which is why I am speculating that the organisers had no real choice but to cancel.

EDHS, Germany

Hahnweide and Tannkosh are both in the state of Baden-Württemberg which means they have the same regulator. It has been getting stricter and stricter over the years, Hahnweide was already behind fences. Also Tannkosh is always a huge financial risk for the organizer (a family). If the weather is bad, it becomes an economic disaster. If something bad happens, the organizer gets framed for an unsafe event for the sake of profit or something. Memories of the Love Parade in Duisburg come to mind.

The government mentality here is that human life needs to be protected and safety assured at any cost. Unless you can rule out injury and death with a very high probability, you won’t get approvals. That is a bit different from the US scene where accidents are considered to be part of life. When this accident happened in Tannkosh 2013, they closed down the runway for hours for all the government bodies to come and do their pointless investigation. This resulted in an incredibly long queue of pilots wanting to go home and when they finally opened it, there was a mass exodus (weather was also deteriorating) and this really imposed a major risk on life and health, much more than the accident. In the US, they pick up the body parts and 15 min later, the show goes on. This is a saner approach in my view, when 1500 airplanes and 15 000 people meet, I expect death and injury to be part of that.

Last Edited by achimha at 28 Oct 07:00

I agree with you completely.

The mass exodus? Give us a pragmatic US or UK IMCr style IR (would not have helped Heubach/Hall based pilots granted) but would have stopped the mob panic to escape before VFR minima.

The accident, I wasn’t in the cockpit, so can’t say for sure, but I imagine pilot error… A mistake… A simple mistake… Has probably ended two of the best fly-ins around. That is where I agree whole heartedly with your Europe/US comment. I don’t like much about the US but flying is something they have got right!

EDHS, Germany

Give us a pragmatic US or UK IMCr style IR (would not have helped Heubach/Hall based pilots granted) but would have stopped the mob panic to escape before VFR minima.

I think our decision to not fly wasn’t made because of the marginal weather (we would have handled that) but the excessively high alcohol content in the fuel aehm blood

Sign in to add your message