Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tannkosh fly-in cancelled

I think you mean your blood, I was fine….

My blood alcohol was all over the inside of the conviently placed toilet

EDHS, Germany

In the US, they pick up the body parts and 15 min later, the show goes on.

No, they are not heartless animals there either. After an accident, especially one with casualties among the spectators, the show is over – even in the United States. Like at Reno two years ago. And I remember, that the future of the Reno Air Races was at stake for quite some time thereafter.

Germany has had it’s share of airshow accidents, from Ramstein to Eisenach. So I can understand the officials to some degree when they insist on the most stringent safety measures. The guy who signs the authorisation is the first one to lose his job or even worse.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Risk management is about optimizing risk in relation to return. A certain amount of risk is good, and in my view elimination of individual risk would be similar to death, with the same quality of existence. The nanny state thing is really nauseating, and certainly does not provide the best life. Humans were made to take risks of their own individual choosing and overcome them, and do not thrive when prevented from doing so.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Oct 14:31

Agree with Silvaire. I have no problem with the state protecting me to a certain extent, in particular against things that are beyond my influence, like for instance food quality. Another thing is an airshow. People go there out of their own free will, knowing that something can go wrong.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

People go there out of their own free will, knowing that something can go wrong.

You do. Your wife and especially your children come with you, to some extent out of their free will, but they know nothing about their risk. If they knew, maybe they wouldn’t come. And the whole risk management thing only works if the odds are known, which in many cases in life they are not.

EDDS - Stuttgart

The way you work out the risks and odds is by doing which is why I think societies eventually stagnate and fail when individuals are prevented from taking risks. The same is true when government improperly encroaches into the role of the family unit.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Oct 15:10

As a pilot I certainly hope you work out your risks and odds ex-ante as opposed to “by doing”…

You do. Your wife and especially your children come with you, to some extent out of their free will, but they know nothing about their risk.

Isn’t that a bit condescending? Children is another story, obviously, up to a certain age. That’s why they have legal guardians. Wives (and other people) don’t usually have that and don’t need to, I should like to think.

Do they know there’s a risk of an accident when going to an air show, maybe witnessing crazy aerobatics? Sure they do. In my experience, women (especially mothers) are MORE aware of the risks than others, not less.

Can they accurately judge the odds? Certainly not. Can you? Certainly not! Can all healthy, adult attendants judge for themselves if they are willing to take the perceived risk of an airshow? Certainly.

QuoteAnd the whole risk management thing only works if the odds are known, which in many cases in life they are not.

I don’t see why I can’t manage (i.e. mitigate or willfully accept, …) a risk if I don’t know the odds. In risk management, I will ALWAYS work with approximations and I will almost never actually KNOW the odds (unless maybe in a staged experiment in a controlled environment, say rolling dice). There’s just too many factors involved. Even for pilots.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Good explanation of reality, Rhino

Shorrick, how I manage my own risks is my own business, not yours. I’ve been pretty good at it to date. I’ve never been hospitalized for any reason and never made a claim on any vehicle insurance policy I’ve ever bought. I think that’s pretty good after (for instance) 40 years of continuously riding motorcycles all over the world – never mind flying. I think part of the reason for that success to date is that I was not discouraged from taking risks as a kid, and learned that part of adult behavior early. I started with motorcycles every day when I was nine, and flew first at fifteen, soloing on my 16th birthday. That’s the best kind of training for life.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Oct 16:12

You can never mitigate all risk. Because when you do someone more creative will find away around your mitigation.

The problem is when a regulator clamps down on all flying events because of a mistake by one pilot. If the organiser is negligent, then I agree with additional regulations to with may close an event, but when an individual makes a mistake or is negligent, why do the majority suffer?

We are still speculating but if the reasons for Hahnwiede and Tannkosh are additional regulations, then an individual has ruined things for the rest of us. If you want no risk, stay at home.

I agree with Rhino’s perceived risk statement… Because it is subjective. Oh yeah, and don’t go around anyone else’s house for dinner at the moment in case you catch Ebola from Spaghetti – the risk is HUGE…

Last Edited by italianjon at 28 Oct 16:37
EDHS, Germany
Sign in to add your message