Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taxiing with the handbrake engaged

A few years ago I lined up the C172 Rocket (210hp) on the wet grass runway, engaged the hand brake (some I hardly ever do), did my power checks with my feet on the brakes as always, released my feet and took off.
The ground roll was a bit longer than usual but not much.
The landing roll was very short, I was already chuffed with my short field technique until I realized that taxing at normal power was very slow.

I had taken off and landed with the hand brake on.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

The DHC Chipmunk had no differential brake unless the park brake was partly set. Used for Xwind take-off and landing.
Brakes Off was a pre-spinning check, as the partly set brake prevented the full rudder movement needed for recovery.
My Piper, Cessna, and Jodel downwind checks have all included “Brakes Off”.
PS regarding tie-down blocks, a Pa28 made a successful forced landing in France after encountering a yaw, which the rudder could not counteract, on climbout. One of the tie-down blocks had not been properly secured, and had fallen off. Pilot, (Belgian Astronaut??) lost his licence.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

BTW: I once lined that plane up with the parking brake engaged. After we had to hold at the holding for longer than usual, I had set the parking brake, something I don’t usually do. I wondered why I needed so much power to get the plane moving (normally one just gets the feet off the pedals and idle thrust will do the job) and quickly realised my mistake. I think it was only possible to get moving because it was raining, on a dry taxiway the amount of power required would be close to or beyond normal takeoff thrust.

That is my horror scenario. I never use the parking brake on the runway but do use it at the hold.

EGTK Oxford

Dimme wrote:

4 tons on every wheel? What are you flying?

The “best sports plane in the world” as someone once called it (referring to the thrust to weight ratio and the runway requirements), a Citation V Encore.

BTW: I once lined that plane up with the parking brake engaged. After we had to hold at the holding for longer than usual, I had set the parking brake, something I don’t usually do. I wondered why I needed so much power to get the plane moving (normally one just gets the feet off the pedals and idle thrust will do the job) and quickly realised my mistake. I think it was only possible to get moving because it was raining, on a dry taxiway the amount of power required would be close to or beyond normal takeoff thrust.

EDDS - Stuttgart

4 tons on every wheel? What are you flying?

ESME, ESMS

…but it seems strange to me that it wouldn’t appear anywhere in the checklist?…

In “my” plane it is on the shutdown-and-parking-checklist: “Parking Brake – Set”. So I do as the checklist tells me, place our red A4 sized sign “Parking Brake ON – do not tow – call thisandthatphonenumber instead” in the middle of the window and go to the hotel. Next morning, the plane is 50m away from where it was yesterday with thick black stripes on the tarmac (there are about 4 tons on every wheel) between the old and the new position. Luckily the handling guy realized after 50m that he needed a lot of power than usual with his tug before completely flattening the tyres.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Jacko wrote:

The ones I use most often are the bowline and round turn & two half hitches.

Those and the clove hitch for sure.

EGTK Oxford

NinerEchoPapa wrote:

but it seems strange to me that it wouldn’t appear anywhere in the checklist?

There are multiple entries for engaging the brakes, where I usually do it myself and don’t use the handbrake. However, there are no entries for disengaging the brakes or the handbrake.

ESME, ESMS

Philip Greenspun knows very little about Cirrus Aircraft but likes to write about it. I know that article for years now and I pointed some mistakes out to him, but he doesn’t care much if what he writes is correct. Not a good source.

The heat indicator on the brake calipers only show if the brake system was ever overheated.

PS: By the way, guys, “handbrake” is an automotive term to me, in airplanes it’s always “parking brake”.:-)

Last Edited by at 07 Oct 15:36

Peter wrote:

Wasn’t this (brakes setting things on fire) a big issue with the SR22?

That’s what http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/cirrus-sr20 says. Overheating (aggressive braking, e.g. an aborted take-off) can lead to a fire, even later on, and that’s why Cirrus added “Telatemp patches” which I guess are things that permanently change colour once they are heated once.

ELLX
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message