Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 for sale G-BLYD - opinions?

It would seem from G-INFO that this plane was bought in July by a lucky Italian. With the low GBP versus the Euro I’m surprised that there aren’t more UK aircraft leaving for Europe.

it can be an advantage to deal with someone like this if the buyer knows what he is doing

Agreed, except that 50k is at the very top end for a 1985 TB20. But we have seen some overpriced cases. It is I think very unusual to not have an autopilot, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

also I don’t think the mandatory 6 year prop overhaul has gone away.

Depends. Under Part NCO it might. Depends what the base is. Even if, a prop overhaul can be a good thing and it is not that expensive. I did mine in 2011 and it is much nicer now than before, 3000 Euros well invested (including shipping). Peter wrote:

I agree it is a very badly done advert.

It’s typical for someone who has no idea what people need to assess an airplane. Telling us what we do know and just the bare minima about the equipment, 3 pictures… I’ve seen worse, pictures taken in some sort of dungeon environment, they would not even bother to take the airplane out of the hangar and spend some time doing pics or even pirated pics of airliners net e.t.c. and then the dreaded line “inquire” on the price… As I said, it can be an advantage to deal with someone like this if the buyer knows what he is doing. If they can’t be bothered to make a proper add they often simply want to get rid of the plane and won’t object to offers too much.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Here’s a blown up version of the panel pic

No autopilot I can see. The KI525 HSI was standard on the TB20 almost all the way back to start.

I agree it is a very badly done advert.

Almost every certified 1200kg+ G-reg plane is under a CAMO. One still needs to check… also I don’t think the mandatory 6 year prop overhaul has gone away.

Administrator

MSE wrote:

Looks like a walk away for me…

Why? You know next to nothing about it.

The add is done in a less than optimum way unfortunately and does not give an avoinic list, just the upgrades, but there is a phone number to call and ask. The add is typical for someone who does not know what he is doing when trying to sell a plane, but that can be an advantage too when trying to buy it. It does look kind of weird having a HSI and a Stormscope but no AP, but that needs to be verified. If it does not have an AP, then one can be installed such as a S-TEC 30 without too much hassle.

The airplane is under CAMO, so it should be a given that all AD’s are current. But that is something you have to check anyhow before buying. For that you obviously need someone who has a good knowledge of the type and of how to read the logs.

The engine has 1600 hrs since 2000, which is a better than usual usage. You might know that today with Part NCO TBO’s are no longer binding, it is strictly on condition. Same goes for the prop, which obviously is out of calendar TBO but again, this is not an issue anymore. The engine can go as far as 2400 or more hours in case it is in good condition.

I’d say it won’t cost you much to ask for the logs and the avionic list. Once you have that, it will be a sight easier to determine if that plane is worth viewing or not. The price is not that bad for the numbers, but it strongly depends on the details. Once you have the logs and lists, other owners here may well be able to give better advice.

I share the sentiments about such forum threads on specific airplanes. Recently I was involved in a discussion about a lovely J Model Mooney in the US, where two posters were screaming murder (that is, “don’t walk, run fast” e.t.c.) without giving reasons. Only 3 pages of spite later it turns out that one of them hates Aspens and the other one will not touch any plane which ever has had a gear up, even 30 years ago. The other brigade sure to offer opinions are those who deem it either too expensive or too cheap.

The only people who really can tell you something about it is the CAMO and maintenance folks on the field and the owner initially, the next step is a pre-buy inspection by a well qualified maintenance shop.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 28 Mar 06:50
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@MSE it would help if you filled in a bit of your profile.

Administrator

There is some validity in that, William, but…

They are all points with merit. This is just a peculiar thread as the OP has made up his mind over the course of less than an hour that the plane wasn’t for him but the thread will come up in a google search for all time under that registration. I do agree the greater good is to the new person buying the aircraft, as there is asymmetrical information in all these transactions skewed in favour of the seller.

Last Edited by WilliamF at 27 Mar 22:08
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

It does say “all ADs” complied with but at that age and hours I think I might be tempted to chuck a cheeky bid in and upgrade from there.
(If I were in the market that is).

Forever learning
EGTB

It depends on what flying you want to do… no autiopilot would be a no go for me personally.

It seems that some planes have been gaining value over the last 4 years. I sold my TB20. G-TBZO for only slightly more than that figure it had 300hours since engine overhaul, Garmin 430, Mode S, updated audio panel, autopilot and theee blade prop… oh and full leather seats and new carpets. The price seems a little rich to me but it is only the asking price :-)

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

It has averaged about 91 hours a year since overhaul. I would be curious as to how those hours distribute, but would price it as a run out given the 18 years. The real issue for me would be the condition of the airframe. I’ll be in the UK late April and think I’ll take a look.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 27 Mar 17:27
Tököl LHTL
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message