Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporarily basing a US registered GA aircraft in Germany (ICAO: EDQH)

I’m seriously considering moving to the Herzogenaurach, Germany area from the United States. I have a U.S. registered V35B Bonanza that I’d love to bring along to explore Europe with my family via GA. I’d appreciate any information/recommendations on temporarily basing an N# aircraft in the Herzogenaurach (EDQH) / Nuremberg (EDDN) area.

Cheers,

Gabe

KDLS

The fact that it is N-reg does not pose any problem and there are plenty FAA A&P, IA, and avionics shops with FAA authorisations. So if that is what you were worried about, you can relax.

The challenge will rather be to get hangarage where you want at a price you are willing to pay. Only someone with local knowledge can answer that.

@Manfred and @boscomantico probably know the area well. I think @Stephan_Schwab also occasionally visits Nuremberg.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 21 Dec 18:10
LFPT, LFPN

EDQH has no free hangarage available currently. A friend of mine just enquired.

Also, there might be a problem of noise. At least some years ago, EDQH wouldn’t allow basing an aircraft that didn’t meet German (very high) noise standards. That is because some public funding was tied to the condition that only “quiet” aircraft be based there. Just one of many stumbling points a US pilot will encounter when getting into the details of operating and flying a private aircraft in Europe…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In my opinion, the V35B is about the most beautiful airplane around….hope you bring it…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

… and I can’t really help much with local knowledge regarding German airports as I just fly there frequently for a time and then move on – whereever other clients happen to be.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 21 Dec 19:10
Frequent travels around Europe

Thanks for the quick responses and recommendations guys. The hangar issue has been my primary concern and I’m going to continue to keep digging. I just sent off some inquiries to the airport manager in Nuremberg. I’m already glad that some of my European friends tied me into EuroGA.org!

KDLS

At many airfields in Europe there is a lot of “politics” at the ground level so unfortunately shooting off emails to the airfield will often not yield useful results. A phone call by another pilot who speaks the local language is likely to be more productive; better still if he is based there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Also, do I need a Mode S transponder to fly IFR or will Mode C and/or ADSB be adequate?

KDLS

Gabriel wrote:

Also, do I need a Mode S transponder to fly IFR or will Mode C and/or ADSB be adequate?

Hopefully someone more informed than me will come along soon and tell you about Mode S, 8.33 kHz radios, BRNAV, VAT, FCC airplane radio station license, FCC radio operator’s license, journey logs etc…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

One other aspect to consider is your license. If you will reside permanently in Europe you might be affected by the same issue us FAA license holders will have to go through, i.e. you might need to get European licences. This requirement has been postponed a few years already and it now looks to be like April 2018. Our hope is that it will be dropped but I wouldn’t hold my breath on this.

LSZH
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message