Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Testing "exotic" characters

I recently had an issue where the forum would not accept a message containing an “…” character (s with a caret on top).
The present thread is only for testing and evaluating this issue and its solution.

However I choose this character in error – what I meant to type were the š and Š and these seem to work ok.

Last Edited by at 30 Sep 15:42
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Is it just me or did anyone else open this thread expecting a very different subject?

EGTK Oxford

Just yesterday, I tried to post a message with a Czech character (E with a v-shaped diacritical mark), and it was displayed in the preview, but posting was refused with a cryptic message: “We are sorry, but something went wrong”. On another occasion, I tried to send a personal message in Russian, and it was neither rejected as invalid nor delivered to the addressee – just silently lost. David, is it possible to extend the allowable character set?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Is it just me or did anyone else open this thread expecting a very different subject?

Not just you, Jason

Now, let’s try the above in Spanish (only one ‘funny’ character): No sólo usted, Jason!

Last Edited by 172driver at 30 Sep 18:36

Now, that makes me feel slightly nerdy. I expected exactly what came. I had to have a second look to see what you’re getting at.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

It would be useful to find out the hex code of the offending character.

David has been testing out the common Czech ones and they seem to work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why not use UTF-8 for all strings / database tables?

I thought it was a confessional: my name is XXX, and I am a testing exotic character…..

Sorry Jan but I thought you were going first!

I was also going to hold my hand up!

Last Edited by JasonC at 30 Sep 20:17
EGTK Oxford

Testing Czech characters right here: Áá Éé Íí Óó Úú Ýý Šš Žž do work. The rest (c-caron, d-caron, e-caron, n-caron, r-caron, t-caron, u-ring) do not. This is very strange because the first six that work do belong to the Latin-1 Unicode block, while the last two along with the non-working ones belong to the Latin Extended-A one.

Cyrillic and Greek characters do not work.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 30 Sep 21:26
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Yes. It could have been one of Achimha’s “aerobatic” videos, but clearly he’s just talking Unicode.

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message