Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Textron (Cessna/Beechcraft) to do a "PC12"

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, because the segment isn’t crowded.

But if Textron do it they will do it right. I am very happy with the service we have received on Textron products, they are a professional organisation with some muscle, including a substantial spares/service centre system.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

But if Textron do it they will do it right.

Like the 162?

Or FAA certification for the Diesel 182 :-)

EDLE

Probably, the “failed” projects were done by different departments.

The Mustang was done on time, spec, etc apparently.

The 162 was to be partly built in China, IIRC, and since I do some of that at work I can tell you what a bloody headache that is. You may as well build stuff on Mars. It elevates the required project management to another level. All the big western firms who make stuff out there (Apple, etc) have their own people out there, loyal to them and watching the whole situation etc. If you are doing it for the first time, it’s very hard. In electronics, it’s worth doing for a few k minimum and then only in very special situations. Normally you want a ~100k run. They would have been far better to spend serious $$$ on tooling to cut down the labour cost, build it in the USA, and maybe get the wiring harness done in China.

The diesel projects are being done as a Plan B, to hedge their bets, and for the Chinese market which, hey, everybody says, will be huge tomorrow There isn’t much of a market in the USA. The better SFC of the engines ought to sell them but in reality it seems to be balanced by higher costs elsewhere. The DA40/42 make sense for European touring (a very small market actually, notwithstanding the passion of the participants ) and the 42 makes sense for ATPL training where you must have 2 engines and all the other options are shagged 30 year old twins. Well, there is the Tecnam twin which doesn’t even pretend to be any good except to meet the ATPL training job.

If they do a “PC12” they will probably use the same team as the Mustang and it will work. And it will make it even harder for say Kestrel to get more funding.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

None of that is a good excuse for bad management.

It looks like a Hawker Beechcraft project to me. The premier jet will be converted to a SET.

Keep in mind — Textron is just the holding that Cessna belongs to and now Hawker Beechrcraft. The two daughter companies are still separate.

Yes most certainly Beechcraft, judging from the color scheme (and tailplane logo).

EDDS, Germany

Cessna jets and Turboprop singles are a different league from their piston cousins. The package is very good, service, spares, sales, training,etc. Beechcraft make a lovely and robust aircraft and also have great backup.

Yes Cessna had a flop with the Skycatcher, and Beechcraft with the Starship, but my point remains.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message