Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The EIR - beginning to end

Glad to see I’m in the top ten of something. Probably 50% of them are on EuroGA. :)

It’s certainly been more than that, but I doubt we’re more than 50.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

50 is actually not bad. It is probably similar to the historical take-up of the JAA IR by private pilots, in any given year. The UK was running at something like 10-20 per year, with a bump around 2008 when some did it as a group.

If I had the EIR now I would look at converting it to the full IR. What are the options?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Obvious route is to accrue 15 hours experience to go with your 15 hours training and take it to a CBIR ATO for 10 hours flight training and a full IR skills test. No additional theory needed.

EIMH, Ireland

I will keep my Enroute IR and automatically transfer to the Basic IR with the enroute module. My goal is the full instrument rating, but I need 50h IFR PIC to apply for the IR skill test (coming from FAA IR → Enroute IR → IR).
If I hadn’t that route from the FAA IR, I would probably just go for the Basic IR (and accept the higher approach minima) and wait for EASA to come to their senses by deleting the traditional IR and removing the limitations of the Basic IR. Edit: Don’t get me wrong. I think the BIR is a great achievement and it’s awesome to have this option. I just think the IR mess should get consolidated in one single instrument rating that is based on common sense.

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 10 May 08:07

For German speakers, a good summary on the BIR and all the future upgrade paths (also coming from the EIR) was in Pilot & Flugzeug magazine, April issue.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Transitional measures for holders of an EIR

Hello,

I noticed that Regulation (EU) 2021/2227 and an Article 4c — Transitional measures for holders of an en route instrument rating which states:

1. Up to and including 8 September 2022, holders of an en route instrument rating (‘EIR’) set out in point FCL.825 of Annex I (Part-FCL) shall:
__ (a) be entitled to continue to exercise the privileges of their EIR;__
__ (b) continue to be entitled to receive revalidation or renewal of their EIR, in accordance with point FCL.825(g) of Annex I (Part-FCL);__
__ (c) be entitled to receive full credit towards the training requirements in point FCL.835(c)(2)(i) and (iii) of Annex I (Part-FCL), when applying for the issue of a basic instrument rating (BIR) in accordance with point FCL.835 of Annex I (Part-FCL); and__
__ (d) continue to be entitled to receive full credit as established for EIR holders in Annex I (Part-FCL).__

Having an EIR myself my question is….what happens after 8 September 2022 ? Is my EIR not valid anymore ?

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

If you do nothing, yes of course.

Why wait to the very last moment? This date has been known for almost 2 years I believe.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Jun 12:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

EIR will be replaced by BIR, it has been a year or two of transition period now..

Same thing happens for French pilots with FN-IR, French National IR even if it’s not an FCL rating, it got binned, upgraded for BIR or ELP => CBIR

As from the 8th of September 2021, EIR is replaced by Basic Instrument Rating with a transition period of one year. In other words, an EIR holder may exercise his/her EIR privileges until September 8th 2022

With the introduction of the BIR, the en route instrument rating (‘EIR’) in point FCL.825 of Annex I (Part-FCL) to Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 becomes redundant and therefore it should be deleted. However, the existing EIR holders should be entitled to continue to exercise their privileges and should receive credits from their EIR when they seek to obtain a BIR. It should also be possible to continue an on-going training for an EIR that commenced prior to the application of this Regulation and to complete it as training for a BIR

https://www.easa.europa.eu/community/system/files/2020-12/CELEX_32020R0359_EN_TXT.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jun 12:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

This date has been known for almost 2 years I believe

Well sorry I am not following the regulation on a day by day. It was by chance that I realised this by looking the requirements for renewal.

I understand that as from 08/09 I will not be able to exercise EIR privileges. Funny part is that in Belgium nobody is offering BIR nor CBIR (except one single ATO for CBIR). I am kind of screwed….

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium
Sign in to add your message