Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The fastest / most capable UK LAA / Annex 1 aircraft type?

If we were based at the same airport, I would ask you to let me know when you start building your Evo so I can join…

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Apparently there is a way to tell from the G-INFO database, or some such.

You can probably tell from the permit validity reference: the LAA ones all look something like G-ABCD/DAI/1172/48/28042017. G-ICBM’s is not in that format.

Andreas IOM

that is one of the owners and he also build it!!

Glenn V. Waters – Founder & UAS/Drone Advisor

Waters is a globally recognized innovator and technologist in the aviation and automotive sectors.
Internationally recognized as an expert on autonomous vehicles, Waters holds positions with Innovate UK as a
Program Assessor for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles as well as being a Member of the UK Aerospace & Defense National Technical Committee for Autonomous Systems.
Starting his career at Formula 1 back in the 1970’s where he was the head Engineer for Mario Andretti, Waters has either founded or been an executive at some of the most premier Formula 1 ventures in history. He was the CEO/Owner for Racing Technology Norfolk/Tom’s GB LTD – CEO/Owner for Intersport Racing LTD and Racing Engineer/Prototype Department Manager at Team Lotus International.
Over the last 20 years Waters has focused on aviation and autonomous vehicles extending his experience and best practices from FI to the drone marketplace. Most recently with McLaren (Aerospace Business Director), Cosworth Engineering Ltd. (Unmanned Aerial Systems – Program Director) as well as assembling 2 aircraft ‘s — a Berkut 360 and a Glasair III (both certified with the UK Civil Aviation Authority)

http://www.nbe.co.uk/company_history.html and this is the other

so it looks they are very well “connected”

Last Edited by Peter_Paul at 05 Jan 12:49
fly2000

The RV-10 must lead the field for your criteria.

But if you are willing to trade some speed for utility it might be worth considering the Glastar Sportsman.

Not yet on the LAA list as I understand as that requires a first example to go through inspection and testing, but it meets all the LAA acceptance criteria so there shouldn’t be any great obstacle to getting one approved.

Not a full 4-seater, but a 2+2 with rear facing second row seats.

It also offers a diesel option. And you can have big tyres for rough field operation.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

The RV10 does indeed appear to be the “best” non-cert type which at the same time has decent low speed handling and can use just about all European runways.

Here is an interesting post on this topic, from an old thread. The poster, Genghis, used to be very involved in that field.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To reinforce the above, and my conviction that the RV10 is the plane I need, a short video from AOPA, probably not sponsored by Van’s

I don’t know how Cirrus let that be published

LFOU, France

LFOU, France

It is a fabulous aircraft. I built mine 4 years ago now (I think!)

If anyone wants a south UK demo once we are flying again please do shout!

I love it so much I also imported an RV8, which is awaiting a new UK permit and test flight.

EGKL, United Kingdom

Very interesting comparisons, especially the SR22 v RV10 which really surprised me.

Worth a mention it is also a roughly 4:1 price gap.

Realistically how much can one buy a well built RV10 in Europe?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The problem is there are very few RV10s in the UK. I have test flown 3, two with twin Dynon fit and ours with a AFS fit. All three have full Gamin nav / radios and have either been IFR / Night cleared or are in the process of getting it done.

The last one that I know of that was sold in the UK, is probably one of the nicest in the UK. For a really nice one I think you would need to budget on at least £165k ..but it depends a lot on fit out.

The comparison with the SR22 is interesting. As a certified aircraft the SR22 can operate to much lower IFR approach limits but is also a lot more delicate. I would not want to regularly operate one in and out of grass strips where you are unsure how bumpy it is. The RV10 can easily be operated from grass. (We operate our RV10 off a 650m grass strip and it copes well.) With 260 hp and a VP prop it has plenty of power from standstill, can easily lift a full fuel load (225 litres), four 80 kg adults and some baggage. We even managed to take 4 adults and the dog with us..

A lot have the 3 bladed MT prop which really helps with getting airborne and also slowing down on a short strip. We have a 2 bladed metal prop and it works fine.

The RV10 has exceeded our expectations and really is a great machine. Cruise is 140 IAS, LOP at 38 lt / hour, giving 165 TAS. Higher is better, we cruise up to FL130 without oxygen. For planning we use 44 lt / hr which includes a taxi and engine warm up allowance.

There are now quite a lot of RV14s being built in the UK, so it will be interesting to fly one of those. I still think that for touring 2 up a 4 place aircraft is the way to go as you can just load up the back seats with “stuff”. Obviously operating costs per person are higher, but I have been surprised how often we end up with more than 2 people on board.

Any other questions let me know. I haven’t been checking the forum much but have more time on my hands now!

Hampshire
Sign in to add your message