Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The finest grass runways in Europe

Since we were talking about it in a different thread, why don’t we compile a list of the best grass runways in Europe? Let’s focus on the quality (fimness, drainage, evenness, regular cutting) of the grass runway.

Achim started with Speck-Fehraltdorf (LSZK) near Zurich, which, IIRC, has the plastic reinforcements.

My additions:

1. San Sepolcro – Palazzolo Avio (LIQF) in Tuscany, Italy
Probably the very finest grass runway in Europe. Almost 900 metres long. It is owned and kept by a family that is in the gardening business. They also manage their house as a country guesthouse, the “Avioresort Palazzolo”. The runway is incredible. In late spring the grass is sprinkled with daisy flowers, and anyone ruining one with their aircraft wheels gets a royal bollocking from the boss, Marcello (just joking). The runway even has night lighting!

2. Capaccio Paestum (south of Naples)
Really only a microlight strip, because it’s only 300 metres long. But what place it is. More like a garden than like an airfield. Just as a side mark, the pizzeria on the airfield has the very best original neapolitan pizza on any airfield.

3. Old Sarum (EGLS) – at least used to be… probably not a good idea at the moment

4. Gelnhausen (EDFG)

P.S. As in the restaurant thread: no “off-topic”, please…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Feb 13:31
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Texel EHTX has a well maintained 1115m grass runway.
If you click on “Photogallery” you’ll find pictures of aircraft that landed there, categorized by engine type.

Add Texel (EHTX) to the list. With a main runway of 1100m +, if you can use grass at all you can get in there. Both runways are beautifully maintained and I’ve found the airport restaurant good too.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

These I have landed in, in a retractable. I am not prioritising quality of surface, just that they can take retractables when dry and are worth visiting.

Compton Abbas
Goodwood
Glenforsa

Venice Lido
Ferrara
Belluno (on my wish list)

There used to be a nice field near Chioggia but it seems to no longer be listed in Avioportolano.

The best meal at an airport was at Boscomantico! Boscomantico may have chosen his forum name because of this?

I once took a twin into an aviosuperfizie near Rome, where they have a cottage industry restoring WW1 and De Havilland types. Let’s say the departure at Vx/ Vmca was not the best example of airmanship.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yeah, that homemade pasta isn’t bad at all…
LIPN was my homebase for six years. I chose the nick simply as an homage to that wonderful place of which I have lots of fond flying memories… criss-crossed through most parts of Italy during that time…

I’ve landed on Ameland (EHAL) with the Mooney a few times but the runway is smooth enough. You do need to take care on the taxiway a bit. Give them a call ahead, the western end of the runway can get a little drenched.

EHTE, Netherlands

The aviosuperfizie, which is on the short side, 480m, near Rome is Santo Stefano. Good condition, though.

http://www.comune.anguillara-sabazia.roma.it/info-aviosuperficie/show.php?id_pagina=26

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Oh, forgot one: Bagnoli di Sopra, near Padova, is 1200 metres of silky smooth grass.

Wanted to visit Aero (Denmark). Is that strip suitable for a Mooney?

EHTE, Netherlands
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message