Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The most scary trip report ever

This gave me an idea

This one in a diesel PA28 must be well up there with the best.

This one in a TB20 is rather more scary.

Both of the above have been in the public domain in other open forums for years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For this topic, I will stick to clubhouse talks or group therapy sessions rather than online write-up

Actually, the best trip write ups do come up after the clubhouse talks, the top one AFAIK come from the “father of Air Force instrument flying”, after having breakfast chat at clubhouse with veteran Brits pilots who claimed that Americans will always fly away an AT-6 Texan away from the storms, Duckworth took the bet, O’Hair fuel the AT6 and the two flew intentionally through a hurricane for the 1st time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Duckworth

https://www.cdispatch.com/opinions/article.asp?aid=60542

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There is actually a lot of youtube, where people crashed with the camera(s) running. But there you don’t usually find out what actions led to it.

Administrator

On the TB20 one: I’ve crossed the Sierra Nevadas, and it’s serious business in a light single, even in decent weather. I’ll never forget the crossing I made when the wind turned out to be stronger than forecast, the turbulence was appalling (constant moderate chop with frequent severe jolts that felt like the angry hand of god smacking the plane across the sky and floated all my charts off the empty passenger seat), and all I could think of is the muffled “whomp” the plane would make going into the snow if I didn’t cross the ridges correctly (and that they wouldn’t find my frozen corpse for weeks).

The flight instructor who I did my ME with said the only time he’s ever been frightened while flying was when he had an encounter with icing over the Rockies in the Piper Apache that I did my ME in (he’s an airline pilot in his day job).

Last Edited by alioth at 10 Jun 15:57
Andreas IOM

Common theme in many such “scary trips” seems to be obvious: It simply is not a good idea to try crossing a mountain ridge VFR in/between layered of low overcast clouds.

Germany

I think that guy was hypoxic, trying to stick his arm out through the TB window vent and scrape the ice off with his bare hands.

Administrator

This has got to right up there

Why scud running is not cool

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message