Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The quirks of flying in the UK - so funny

Starting at about 9:45, it gets REALLY funny…

And while they were exceptionally clueless (did not have any clue about the airspace structure of the UK, had no idea what a deconfliction service is, etc.), I think this pretty nicely mirrors the experience of most GA pilots flying in the UK for the first time…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I was waiting for this video ! So fun to watch.
Not surprised at all by their reaction to the UK system (or non-system, long discussion ).

I guess UK ATC treated them a bit better than others, because of their first time in the UK (understandable on the radio).
Which ATC unit gives them a heading/vector at 14:43 ? Must be a radar unit.

I love the way Andy at the end makes a first time passenger land his PA28. Best teacher ever !!

PS : is it really 33 pounds to land at EGKA ?

LFOU, France

It’s actually 38 pounds for a C210. They seem to have got away with the fee for <1.5 tons, which is indeed 33 pounds.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It is indeed a valid pi$$take out of the screwed-up UK ATC system but it is really a chronicle of how far a pretty amateurish pilot (never even looked at the map, etc) can get in aviation

From Scotland, “request IFR to EGKA” is a complete joke. You could not do that anywhere in Europe. “Has anyone filed a flight plan?”. Does the pilot have a PPL?

Did they talk to London Control at some point? It sounds like that. That is very hard to do without having filed a Eurocontrol flight plan which I don’t think they knew about. My guess is that London Info just tore their hair out and handed them over, so everybody knew where they are.

I think they are just a bit too clueless at times. Not working out what “pass your message” means… This is not used elsewhere AFAIK but is surely self evident?

I do like the bit at 24:30 – not normal UK airport food

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Not working out what “pass your message” means… This is not used elsewhere AFAIK but is surely self evident?

I’m sure I have heard it, and not in the UK. Probably from ELLX APP and/or TWR.

ELLX

Peter wrote:

From Scotland, “request IFR to EGKA” is a complete joke.

I think they had a Y or Z FPL to EGKA and did some scenic VFR before calling Scottish to switch to IFR.

In fact, despite being quite conscious (deconfliction service, they must knew that beforehand), it seems they never looked at a map indeed !!
They must have followed their GP or FF app, not very precise about European airspaces.

LFOU, France

Am I the only one who was hoping they they’d be asked to do a standard overhead join, just to see the lock of confusion!?

In fairness, most people wouldn’t have a clue what to say to “Pass your message”. Their first thought was that the controller might have said “I’m passing on your message” which probably isn’t an unreasonable interpretation.

The UK comes up with some really good procedures. The problem is that they are only applicable in the UK, so unless you’ve flown there before you don’t know them. And it’s not practical for pilots flying half way around the world to familiarise themselves with the local procedures for every country that they will overfly. The UK should try to get their idea’s passed at ICAO, and stick to ICAO procedures until they do that.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

In fairness, most people wouldn’t have a clue what to say to “Pass your message”. Their first thought was that the controller might have said “I’m passing on your message” which probably isn’t an unreasonable interpretation.

On a club flight to the US, I warned my fellow pilots of ‘pass your message’ yet they still managed to ask me – via 123.45 on box 2 – was hat er gesagt – what did he say? Priceless…..

EDL*, Germany

I always loved the respose a friend of mine gave to “what service do you require outside controlled airspace?” To which he replied “ The best you can offer!”

EGTK Oxford

On a club flight to the US, I warned my fellow pilots of ‘pass your message’

I’m not surprised! I wouldn’t expect it in the US either!

I presume you meant the UK

EIWT Weston, Ireland
97 Posts
Sign in to add your message