Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The rise of the drone

“In many ways modern consumer drones are more advanced than far more expensive military systems, says Adam Bry of Skydio, a consumer-drone startup that is developing a rival to the Mavic. "

http://www.economist.com/technology-quarterly/2017-06-08/civilian-drones

Yeah, yeah… but can you set mixture manually and overhaul it with needle pliers and a screwdriver?

Inspired by this article I skimmed over part 107. Interesting, it even established a remote pilot airman certificate and apparently there is a small UAS rating (UAS = unmanned aircraft system).

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The June 2017 UK AAIB Bulletin had a report on a UAV accident, the first accident investigation report of this kind I know of.
“Changes to be made to software.”

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I found it here

Page 65

It’s quite a big thing

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sitting on my terrace Friday evening, I suddenly heard a drone overhead, which hovered at maybe 400-500’ AGL, then flew off towards the city and could be seen for another 5 minutes. Right in the Zurich CTR of course, where we also have light aircraft and helicopter traffic. I guess more software updates will be needed.

And it use an Austro Wankel engine

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It was during a NATO exercise, off West of Scotland.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Personal drone coming to stores near you soon.

http://www.flyingmag.com/workhorse-unveils-surefly-personal-vtol-in-paris

That’s a neat design.

I do like this absolutely revolutionary aspect:

Clearly there is a backup end-of-useful-life career option for all of us: journalism

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s a neat design.

What they don’t publish there, is that these multi-rotors are nearly as expensive in maintenance as a single rotor, and there still isn’t full redundancy if an ‘engine’ is lost.
Watch what happens if you take out one of the props out on a little drone… :)

I’ll not be climbing into a personal drone without a control of some kind (they are currently designed to be 100% autonomous as air taxis…)

MedEwok wrote:

it even established a remote pilot airman certificate

It is a piece of cake to get if you have an FAA PPL. Takes about 30-40 minutes online and then you have to show credentials to an FI. That’s it. No practical exam.

I highly recommend doing this for anyone who has an FAA PPL. You never know what the future holds (if they’ll change the testing and when you may be able to use it)…
Once you have it, you have it for life, so you’re grandfathered in if they make changes, which they likely will, to follow Australia’s great testing system (training and practical test required for Drone License).

Rwy20 wrote:

I guess more software updates will be needed.

DJI has introduced geofencing built-in to all their new systems. The Drone landing on the White House lawn last summer is what brought about the action…

Maoraigh wrote:

The June 2017 UK AAIB Bulletin had a report on a UAV accident

There are other examples of that type of incident… just not published.

Last Edited by AF at 22 Jun 09:53
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message