Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Skigull

10 Posts

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/burt-rutan-takes-skigull-water

Burt Rutans Skigull did some water taxing. The concept is a bit complex, but I like it more and more. This is an aircraft I could have parked at the marina, at least for shorter times.

Last Edited by LeSving at 08 Nov 08:16
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving, thanks for posting. A good friend is also building a Velocity and innovating with a retractable propeller and a small turbine for ground ops/emergency engine, and a Gnome as the main power unit – but not an amphibian.

The Ski concept is brilliant for rough water, there used to be a Cold War supersonic jet which contemplated the ski concept for amphibious operations, will try and track it down.

The Homebuilt industry is a growth opportunity for Europe, as tort litigation is potentially inhibiting builders in the US. Vans is having to deal with lawsuits, despite being an excellent design and company.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

One was the Convair Sea Dart, no doubt the programme would eventually have evolved in Dan Dare style to making it also submersible.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I would love to own an amphibious or craft but sadly there’s no practical possibility of operating one here in the UK. I see that the much awaited seaplane transfers have started operations in the Adriatic, perhaps it will mark the start of a new beginning?

Forever learning
EGTB

I think I would have removed the wheels altogether.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What are the limitations/issues with operating an amphibious in the UK?

The issue is that you can’t land anywhere but in Scotland, basically. It’s prohibited. Offshore you can, and there is a consensus you could potentially land on the Thames beyond the 5mph speed restriction east of Dartford, but todays amphibians don’t cope well with that type of swell or salt content. Now, if you had the Gweduck or this new SkiGull that are all composite, the salt factor wouldn’t be a problem anymore, but the swell and wave heights are still too much for a sea landing unless it’s a calm day.

I have got some details of the UK situation, from someone personally familiar with this topic:

All the Scottish lochs are available.
You can land on ANY water with the owner’s permission.
The Lake District is out because they have a 10kt speed limit.
There’s a seaplane school just opened at Rochester, who operate on the River Medway.
It’s just a matter of getting permission.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Thames is limited to 8kts above Wandsworth Bridge and 12 knots until Margaretness (below the Thames Barrier). There is no limit below that.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

There’s a seaplane school just opened at Rochester, who operate on the River Medway.

Is it Clipper Seaplanes ? Only place could find on google searches, but no website, and phone goes to voicemail …

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message