Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The UK fear of "airways"

I keep coming across this...

UK PPLs are taught to live in mortal fear of infringing an "airway".

In the UK, we have the "proper IFR traffic airspace" which is mostly Class A and obviously no VFR traffic is allowed into it. VFR pilots can't speak to the controllers who handle it (London Control for southern UK, Manchester Control and Scottish Control for the rest) so it is presented by the training establishment as some kind of mysterious airspace, and is called "airways".

As a result, the word "airways" strikes terror into UK pilots.

Then they try to fly into France, look at a French map, and see what looks like "airways" on it, and decide they can't go there.

This "French airways" business has been going on for at least the 12 years I have been flying.

In reality the relevant French airspace is Class E up to FL120 so is good for VFR to FL115...

The training establishment seems to have a difficulty with getting across the idea that what matters is the airspace class.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

... and the Brits think that "controlled airspace" requires you to obtain a permission to enter. Most countries (all but the UK?) use airspace class E for most of their airspace and this is both controlled airspace and you're free to roam without talking to anybody.

It's a typical UK thing. Here in NL the concept of "Airways" is not even mentioned during PPL training. Airways are not depicted on Dutch VFR charts.

As Achimha said: There are a lot of Airways in Class E airspace. You could fly airways VFR. I know of a VFR-only pilot who plans his trips like that.

I guess I would say I have a mild fear of airways. And yes it is partly due to the training syllabus which makes them to be out of reach kind o place, but also my own lack of skills and knowledge as an PPL/IMCr pilot - effectively not giving me the opportunities to fly class A airways. I guess it also comes down to my kind of flying which VFR/IFR or VMC/IMC, is likely to be between 2000 and 8000 ft, and not often up in the airways levels.

However, when planning to fly, it is not the airways per se which I take into account, it is just the class of airspace, which is mostly class A. I recall that was fairly clear in my training.

It may not necessarily be the fault of the UK PPL training establishment, but rather the "fault" of the UK airspace design in itself.

Having never flown in the UK myself,...just to be clear: Airways in the UK are actually class A from base to FL195, correct?

Another odd thing I keep hearing is the fear of asking for VFR "zone transits" (class C & D, which I reckon require a clearance in all European airspace). What's the big deal with those - isn't it merely a matter of announcing your callsign & type, position and requested route, and then getting either a yes or no?

But also it is partly the result of the UK approach that GA really should bumble around at 1500ft while the professionals use the flight levels. Same with clearances across C and D airspace.

That said I do think that the Southern UK airspace and ATC environment is very messy and complex.

EGTK Oxford

UK CAS is mostly Class D around airports (those that have CAS - exceptions are Heathrow and for some bizzare historical reason the Channel Islands which have Class A CTRs) and the "enroute" CAS is Class A, though there are some more substantial Class D bits in Scotland.

Yes I think it is Class A to FL200 and then Class C above that, but have never looked. The UK VFR charts cover SFC to FL195.

What's the big deal with those - isn't it merely a matter of announcing your callsign & type, position and requested route, and then getting either a yes or no?

Yes; you can get a transit of most of the Class D CTRs (including London Gatwick) by calling them up for a transit. You need to get the clearance, obviously - unlike the USA where a 2-way radio contact is sufficient (non ICAO practice). The most favoured transit is overhead the airport, at right angle to the active runway, so you don't affect inbounds/outbounds. Sounding like you know what you are doing also helps...

Sometimes they are busy and say they will get back to you but don't, so you need to be ready to activate Plan B (a dogleg) anytime.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But also it is partly the result of the UK approach that GA really should bumble around at 1500ft while the professionals use the flight levels. Same with clearances across C and D airspace.

At least they allow VFR transits....in Perth, Australia i discovered last year that no VFR transits are allowed through the Class C that surrounds the international airport except a couple of sightseeing routes that won't actually take you across the zone....and even then you won't be allowed unless you have filed a written flight plan usually.....it wouldnt be so bad but the zone is bigger than some European countries...and there is an airbase abutting the Northern boundary that you wouldnt even bother trying to cross....AFAIK it is similar in all Australian capital cities.....so Us Aussies shouldnt have too much of a go at the UK!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I thought standard bimble is at 2000ft? You can fly on airways in other European countries VFR. Ask the >2000kg Eurocontrol-fee-saving VFR pilots.

United Kingdom

It's simply because you need an IR to fly en-route in 'airways' and, since an IR is practically (financially) unobtainable for most in the Land of Uk, 'airways' has become a no-go area. An IR is a professional qualification, is it not? Not for the likes of PPLs. Then you venture abroad and wonder what the problem is?

I put it down to the effect of a thousand years of feudalism. "Thou shalt not do unless I allow it, you serfs." It also inhibits requesting SVFR in CTRs and class D crossings, etc. Many class D zones have an unreasonably protective attitude, like Peter alludes to, above. When you have orbited on the boundary a few times, you give up on them, and remember for the future too. Some seem to have an overdose of trainee ATCOs and that doesn't help either.

Most of the airways' lower levels could be class E. It'll take a siesmic event to mindshift though. P.

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message