Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tips for Northern Spain

I never found Spain any real issue. The airports there are reluctant to correspond in written English and even less keen to speak on the phone in English

It's probably not that they are reluctant, but because the people on the phones and doing the correspondence may just not speak English at all (or not sufficient English). Not so long ago I read in one of the Spanish newspapers of a European report on foreign language speaking in various EU countries, and Spain actually came below the UK for the number of people comfortable to speak in another language (which I find a bit hard to believe, knowing how lazy British people are at learning other languages). However during Franco's time many people were taught French in schools but not English, so for people >45 or so, if they speak a second language, it might well be French.

People in Britain will often have the impression that everyone in Spain can speak English, but that's probably because they've only stayed in tourist areas and really only interacted with the tourist industry.

Andreas IOM

I agree with you, and I am lazy myself (after forgetting most of my Czech and learning English I had no interest in anything else, having found German and French impossible) but I think there is an expectation in aviation of English proficiency.

This is correct for ATC at "international" ("Customs") airports, but I think it suprises many that it does not extend to anybody else in the airport.

For example I landed at Zaragoza LEZG and nobody at all could speak English. Not even the tourist information desk.

But even the person at the back of the ATC room, picking up faxes, may not speak a word of English. They don't need to because the AFTN messages are standard.

The only place which is highly likely to speak English is a handling agent but GA normally tries to avoid contact with those.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

5 summers ago ,trying to land Castellon de la Plana (a GA airport in the midst of UK groupie hotels and beaches). The AFISO is not responding my endless calls in the published frequency. Returning to Radar control freq for explanations,the say "....ohh,it is not our fault". So,I follow the American proceedure of CTAF self announcing everywhere and making a cross pass over the RWY to check the wind sock. Still no replies and land ,then taxi to the parking position.Just before locking the doors,a furious GUARDIA CIVIL car came to intercept me.Of course they only spoke Spanish.I tried to ask them,in Italian,what was going on.Eventualy a boy from the local Aeroclub came to assist.They accused me of low,suspicious and dangerous flight over their police headquarterts (which is located just before the RWY finals ) !!! I told them through my interpreter that if someone is to put charges on me is not the Police but the CAA.Later on they left after puting a police shepperd dog sniff the 172's trunk. Eventualy, I found the AFISO who was drinking coffee in the garden next to his shack. I asked in Italian "...why dont you respond the calls ?..Reply "...sorry no speek Igliss".

LGGG

And by the way, to any monolingual English speakers here, I highly recommend learning another language:

1. No, you're not too old to learn a language.
  2. No, British people aren't "bad at learning language", British schools are just shockingly awful at teaching it turning something that should be fun into dry frustration. (In 6 months of starting on Spanish - teching myself with resources available online, plus Rosetta Stone - I could speak more Spanish than I could French after 7 years of school French. After only 18 months learning, I gave a technical talk in Spanish, including Q&A).
  3. You learn a lot more than language, you learn a culture too.
  4. It opens so many doors.
Andreas IOM

So, here are a few notes on airports and on flying in Spain in general:

• LEAS Asturias was just the typical spanish (read: catastrophic) dump that I expected. When I called for PPR, the ARO man replied, with his spanish English: "On Sunday? Impossible! The airport is completely full!" Really felt like the third world. So I elected to cancel that. What a mess!

• LEXJ was, for spanish standards, a very good experience. It has the four things that are important for the GA pilot: very good opening times, no PPR requirement whatsoever, fuel available at all times and no handling requirement.

• LERJ Logrono / La Rioja was "middle if the road". The bad thing is that it's only open for a few hours in the morning, so when arriving, you realistically cannot fly there from too far away (and you'll still have to fly quite early in the morning). The airport is completely deserted and has no traffic at all. Otherwise it was OK, friendly and not expensive. But what a huge waste of infrastructure and money! In fact, there were about ten based single engine aircraft on the ramp, baking in the 35 degree sun and being basically trapped there. A sad sight, symbolizing the state of Spain as a whole.

• at spanish major airports, you definitely still need a stamped flightplan for access airside. In fact, it is the holy grail for GA there, it literally opens doors for you. But if you don't have it, you go absolutely nowhere. The good news is that the fligtplan does not need to be filed at the airport with the ARO office. You can file uing e.g. Rocketroute and when you arrive at the airport, you merely pass at the ARO (which you have to do anyway in order to pay landing fees), and they will have the stamped print of your FPL ready for you.

• never forget anything in the airplane. Once you have left the airside, there is no way they will let you go back to the aircraft unless - you guessed it - you have a stamped flightplan, even if you don't intend to fly. This happened to me at Logrono. I had to go to ARO office again and explained my problem. The friedly ARO almost apologized for the spanish procedures and offered me to enter a fictive flightplan into the system for me so as to get that bloody piece of paper.

• re English proficiency: the controllers were good throughout. The people at the ARO offices spoke only basic English but it was enough to comunicate and get things done.

• re IFR routings: sometimes there is quite some reluctance towards approving shortcut requests, often for no apparent reason. It seems like, per default, they try to keep you in controlled airspace. The magic phrase that helps a lot is to state the you have "visual contact with the ground". After that, they are much more happy to approve requests for DCTs and lower altitudes, as this phrase apparently shifts their responsibility to the pilot.

• no experiences with refuelling in Spain. Due to the nightmares I have read re the procedures (long waits, need to supply VAT number and to fill out useless forms) as well as the price differential (3 Euros vs. just over 2) I only refuelled in France.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message