Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tired (gyro) Attitude Indicator: what kind of maintenance needed ?

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

I believe G5 is an option in EASA land!

Not as backup instrument for EFIS suchs as G1000.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Some late input, but, In the USA, a number of G5 installations where the G5 is a backup instrument have been done with a Field Approval.

The main G5 thread is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just got a KI256 back from Aircraft Instruments, after 5 months, 1 month of which was waiting for a new gyro shaft from King. Lots of chasing … ~15 emails.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Jacko wrote:

I think it’s time to consider euthanasia for that poor old windywheel

Maybe he was not the fool…

The AI has been overhauled once, and checked one year later, due to strange behavior on start up (slow erection).

Two years later, and two times to the workshop…
Today on departure, just after start-up, the AI erected like this

And i can swear I had parked the aircraft properly :-)

I thought that it may align during run-up, but, it was not the case.
Finally, it slowly went back after ten minutes into flight.

On the following flight, the AI erected immediately on start-up. Not even a second, and it was good.

Something else: I notice during a previous flight, that after a more pronounced turn (30°+), when I rolled out, wings leveled, the AI was a bit late, still showing two degrees into roll, for maybe 10 more seconds.

The vacuum pump has been checked and is ok.

What do you think about this ?

Regards

This kind of recurrent erectile dysfunction may be either a sign of dirt in the vacuum system (did you have it cleaned and filter replaced?) or a sign of the AI being past any help. Mine still works after cleaning but has on one occasion given me an error of several degrees in roll, so I no longer trust it and will be replacing it with Garmin G5 this summer.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

This kind of recurrent erectile dysfunction may be either a sign of dirt in the vacuum system (did you have it cleaned and filter replaced?) or a sign of the AI being past any help. Mine still works after cleaning but has on one occasion given me an error of several degrees in roll, so I no longer trust it and will be replacing it with Garmin G5 this summer.
We have an AI with exactly the same symptoms. Cleaning the filter didn’t work for us either. So you don’t think there is any point in overhauling the AI?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ultranomad wrote:

did you have it cleaned and filter replaced?

Filter was replaced, but, how can i be sure about vacuum system ? Except changing the tubing ?
Vacuum pump wear mark seems ok.

The AI has been overhauled in 2017 first time (beginning of the post).
When it came back, it was better, but would eventually make funny thing until run up (added power = stabilization of the gyro)

So I sent back.
I was said: “it works great here on the bank. Good erection, low friction”.
And now, I have this.

In the Cessna g1000 config, what could I replace the back-up vacuum gyro with ? G5 (last year, that was not possible).
It’s incredible we don’t manage to get a basic AI to work properly.

PS: here is what I had, before sending the second time

PCV, I really don’t see what you’re complaining about. Forget all those screens, dials and gauges, you don’t need them. You live conveniently close to the Jura, so just pop up to Arbois and buy a case of Savagnin of which it is widely acknowledged « plus on en boit, plus on va droit ».

That’s sure to fix the problem, but if not, the Fruitière Vinicole may offer a better warranty than your instrument repairer.

Last Edited by Jacko at 06 May 10:27
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

how can i be sure about vacuum system ? Except changing the tubing ?

Changing the tubing is so cheap that it certainly makes sense to do.

added power = stabilization of the gyro

Hmm… and what does vacuum indicator show before and after adding power? Also, is there any change in airframe vibration?

In the Cessna g1000 config, what could I replace the back-up vacuum gyro with ? G5 (last year, that was not possible).

Was is impossible specifically because G5 is not certified as a backup for a G1000 configuration, or just because both G5 and G1000 are electric? The latter shouldn’t really apply because G5 has a backup battery that lasts several hours, so it should not be affected by a potential power loss.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 06 May 10:28
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Jacko wrote:

That’s sure to fix the problem, but if not, the Fruitière Vinicole may offer a better warranty than your instrument repairer.

I’m running there !

Jacko wrote:

PCV, I really don’t see what you’re complaining about

I’m not complying. I’m learning :-) I know, you had told first. But what can I do instead ??

Ultranomad wrote:

and what does vacuum indicator show before and after adding power?

Low green. But green. Yeah, it’s hard to believe the VAC is faulty.

Ultranomad wrote:

Was is impossible specifically because G5 is not certified as a backup for a G1000 configuration, or just because both G5 and G1000 are electric? The latter shouldn’t really apply because G5 has a backup battery that lasts several hours, so it should not be affected by a potential power loss.

I’ve read that it was magnetic / electrical shielding argument. In a strong magnetic field, or struck by lightning, both digital instrument could pack up, while the mechanical gyro would go on spinning. Read that on Diamond and Beech forum. Back-up has to prove it won’t fail in the same way as the primary instrument to get certification.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 06 May 11:41
Sign in to add your message