Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TKS Installation on a TB21

Here are the details of a retrofit TKS installation by Air Touring Ltd who were the UK agent for Socata and who went bust about 10 years ago.

The main installation:

The baggage bay and TKS refill point installation:

The little control panel at the bottom of the instrument panel:

Finished:

Nice report, thanks! I looked into adding this system to my aircraft (TR182) and it would cost 40k€ a few years ago. There is only one company in Germany that does it. Apart from the price tag, it would also eat up a good portion of the baggage compartment (“hat rack”). I would probably have designed my own (illegal) fluid tank and put that under the rear seat but decided against it, not the least because I neither had much confidence the manufacturer TKS nor their parter in Germany.

Today the Cirrus SR22T owns the market for high end 4 seater touring machines and this is what 90% of the pilots would buy. If I wanted ultimate weather capability in my current class, I would upgrade to the SR22T.

Last Edited by achimha at 22 Nov 08:12

I tried to obtain the parts from CAV in the USA, both directly (they never replied to comms) and via a GA dealer contact out there (they told him they supply only to their own dealers/installers). There is a guy here (UK) who used to work at Air Touring and did some installations and he could have installed it for me, freelance. But one cannot get the parts.

I reckon CAV are under commercial pressure from Cirrus, to restrict supply to the retrofit market. This is a very common situation; I get the same in my business where I could sell certain products to anybody but the 1 or 2 big customers would pull their business.

I spoke to a CAV rep at EDNY and he was extremely vague about everything. He seemed to have been programmed to just stand there and say little.

In the TB20, the “gear” seems to fit mostly underneath the luggage compartment floor. There is a huge void there, as wide as the hull and something like 10-20cm deep, which is inaccessible unless rivets are removed (as I know only too well from trying to get some wires through it ) Presumably access to the TKS stuff is provided from above, hence the large hole cut in the luggage compartment floor, visible in one of the pics above.

Does anyone know anything about the quality of work done by the German company at EDNY (Air Alliance)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I reckon CAV are under commercial pressure from Cirrus, to restrict supply to the retrofit market. This is a very common situation; I get the same in my business where I could sell certain products to anybody but the 1 or 2 big customers would pull their business.

Do you mean to say that Cirrus would care much about three TB20s converted to TKS?

Edit:

If you were right, would they advertise the system on their site?

https://www.caviceprotection.com/products-services/ice-protection-systems/socata-trinidad

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 22 Nov 09:54

CAV are very non responsive, have an incredibly long lead time and generally appear like a company I prefer to not deal with. Based on selling 3 TKS kits as retrofits, they focus on their OEM customers but I assume they are not much better there either because they have zero competition.

A thread on this installation in a TB20 (same airframe for this purpose) is here

I purchased the parts direct from CAV and will be installing it by a freelance A&P/IA, with my assistance.

The sole agency for Europe for CAV, a firm in Germany, were not interested.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message