Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

To Dusseldorf EDDL

I have to go to Mercedes Dusseldorf at relatively short notice and would welcome any advice please.
Departure is from East Anglia and VFR only. I have a full IFR aircraft but only IR(R) so VFR. Any one care to suggest a route and importantly which airfield to use for Dusseldorf bearing in mind the need for customs/immigration.
Many thanks
FF

Last Edited by Fenland_Flyer at 15 Apr 11:26
UK, United Kingdom

Mönchengladbach EDLN is probably the closest one, it’s international, and it has ILS in case you get caught out by the weather. By the way, wouldn’t it be legal under IR(R) to use an ILS for cloudbreak only and then fly a visual approach?

For the route, let Autorouter do the job, specifying RINTI or TRACA as a fly-by point.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 15 Apr 11:57
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Hi FF,

I’m based around here.

Next to EDLN (which is fine), you may also consider EDLE – however, they have no customs/immigration on-premise anymore. They can arrange it in advance (give them a call if in doubt) but it will come at a hefty charge.

But what’s wrong with EDDL? It’s definitely closest to Mercedes (trucks, yeah?) – I think it’s 2 stops via the local train from the airport. Or a taxi from the GAT will take you there in no time. EDDL is perfectly fine for GA with very accomodating ATC, usually. Expect the landing and additional charges for a C172 to be around 70 EUR plus 10 EUR for parking/day (much cheaper than parking a car near the terminal!).

Enjoy

Patrick

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Depending on where in Düsseldorf you need to go, Essen-Mülheim could be an option as well. It is just opposite from Mönchengladbach to the northeast of EDDL. VFR only, but with good airport facilities and a streetcar station right in front if public transport should be required.
Düsseldorf itself can also be reached VFR. I’ve done that a few times, but with pistons twins, never with singles. No big deal, but probably a bit more expensive than the other two.

Last Edited by what_next at 15 Apr 12:32
EDDS - Stuttgart

but with good airport facilities and a streetcar station right in front if public transport should be required

This has been out of order for some time, making it a hassle to connect to public transport from EDLE. There is a substitute bus running on the discontinued section of the tram line, but it’s a PITA because you have to wait for the bus, change over to the tram at some point and change to a proper train at the main station again. Costs a lot of time and nerves…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Would you be kind enough please to explain why RINTI and TRACA?

UK, United Kingdom

Would you be kind enough please to explain why RINTI and TRACA?

Just to minimise the distance over the water – these two waypoints are on the L10/B3 airway giving you the shortest possible crossing.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

OK thank you

UK, United Kingdom

Initial planning suggests this

DVR
RINTI
TRACA
BUN
EDLN

As I have plenty of flying time in France but zero in Belgium, Holland or Germany any tips about the route would be appreciated. For example what are the restricted areas EBR24A/B/C and would it be usual to get a crossing?
Any tips welcomed.

UK, United Kingdom

The Belgian AIP is online here

For your specific question, here is from ENR5.2:

EBR24B – KOKSIJDE LET-DOWN Lateral limits Vertical limits Type of restriction / nature of hazard Time of activity
510131N 0023419E – along the Belgian-French border – 504848N 0023843E – 505957N 0024337E – 510131N 0023419E. 4500 ft AMSL / 1500 ft AMSL Let-down procedure space for jet aircraft. Crossing clearance shall be requested from Koksijde APP. During EBFN OPR HR (1)
(1) EBFN OPR HR can be checked with Brussels FIC or Semmerzake ATCC.

EBBR24B goes only to 4500 AMSL but EBBR24A goes higher, it is a bit queer as it is in French airspace yet has a Belgian id because it is associated with the Belgian airbase of EBFN Koksijde (where our SAR helo’s are based).

But would your route take you so far South? Flying from East Anglia I’d think you’d remain more to the North?

Generally, fly above 4500’ AMSL in Belgian airspace and you’ll enjoy the service of our controllers. You’’l be well above the helo’s, too.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message