Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Too many sticky threads?

Does the active threads works for non logged in? Could the active threads only not show the stickies as stickies, but normal posts?

I pretty much solved the issue by hiding the thread though, but still wondering if they become non sticky after being hidden, if I’ll stop seeing new posts (i would not want the post to continue hidden in that case)

I am not sure if I understand you right but the Active Threads list still shows the active threads if you are not logged in.

You just don’t get the threads that have had activity since you last visited, AFAIK.

The Q is why read the forum without being logged in? The value of doing that is less than zero. The public cannot see anybody’s activity or online status (unless they actually post something) and the server side of EuroGA can see everything anyway, as is the case with every other website. Whether the mods/admins can be bothered to dig something out is a different question, but they need to be able to do so in case of actual or probable nefarious activity, of which there is a fair bit (like this morning’s special discount offer on passports from Cameroon ). And we don’t sell or pass data to anybody (unlike facebook etc etc) and anyway don’t have any “data” for the great majority of users… just nonsensical stuff like a gmail address of joe-bloggs-12345 @gmail.com.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Where do I see the list of hidden threads?

In your profile you should see this

Yes, I bet many people have hidden threads and then forgotten them.

Administrator

I believe “Photos of your planes”, “Avatars – please upload a picture” and “New Aircraft section” could be easily moved from “sticky” section.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Agreed, a sticky is not necessarily permanent and sticky status should be awarded on a temporary basis and only as long as it is relevant. Threads can always be bumped up the list with a new post.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

OK, but I have to ask: why can’t the people who don’t want to see them, just hide them?

The “problem” is not with those who check the forum daily, or even more often.

Threads can always be bumped up the list with a new post.

Yes, by me making a note of it and doing it Once a thread has scrolled about 10 topics down, almost nobody will see it. That is why one has stickies. To use a rather over-used sickly-sweet metaphor, it keeps the community more lively. And those who are logged in can suppress the stickies.

A much more effective way to create a lively community is to allow personal attacks and all the other kinds of abusive behaviour. Right away, the traffic goes up 10×. Of course I am saying this tongue in cheek, but the reality of life is that is how it is done elsewhere. One UK forum mod explained this to me, not long ago. We have had a few people leave because they wanted to post nasty stuff and could not, and they more or less said exactly that.

Administrator

Can you confirm again for me: If I hide a sticky thread, then you un-sticky it, and later someone posts something new (a new aircraft pic for example). Would I then see it in my “Recently Active Threads” list?

I’ve asked the same question a couple of times and there doesn’t seem to be an anwer yet.

I think what we want is an “unstick” button that for the user just makes that thread behave like normally. I have the impression sort algo is something like:

if sticky then prioritise else prioritise by time of last post

what I’d want is:

if (sticky and not un_stickied) then prioritise else prioritise by time of last post

Last Edited by Noe at 30 Jan 10:24

If I hide a sticky thread, then you un-sticky it, and later someone posts something new (a new aircraft pic for example). Would I then see it in my “Recently Active Threads” list?

I have asked David, but if you like we can test it today. I have accordingly just made this thread sticky

Administrator

And I have hidden it.

Sign in to add your message