Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Too many sticky threads?

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Looks great, thanks

A little link / button so it’s easy back to it when reading posts would be golden!

You can make a button on your browser, just below the address bar, no?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Confirmed works perfectly now that something has been posted in the photos thread. No chance of (by user) make this default for active threads? Then more stickies could be used for the ones who need them.

Peter: doesn’t work on iPad. I generally don’t use these buttons but can give a try on the pc when back at work tomorrow.

I have been using this for a couple of days and really like it, thanks!

If you still have time for improvements, would it be possible to have an option (perhaps in the registered user config) where the active threads behave with no stickies (just like the link you sent)? No button on the phone and if using something with no history, it becomes much better.
On the phone, I often go back to the top of the page and click on “Active threads” when wanting to go back from a thread.

Then you can even have a sticky thread to remind people that option exists :)

Good morning all. I see some sort of possible bug on this thread. It apparently shows sign of a new post by me this morning, which I didn’t

The “Active” view (which I no longer use except by mistake) also shows it

Yes; this is caused by a deleted post. This morning, somebody called LeesaJohnson registered and created an empty post, which I deleted when I saw it (I am regularly cleaning up empty posts).

I don’t know how to get around this issue.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I usually go to the ‘Active threads’ link to read what’s new.

The page is becoming rather congested with sticky threads – probably more than half the page now. I kind if instinctively wheel down twice on my mouse to skip them without even looking at them, so ironically I’m less likely to see a new message on a sticky thread than a new message on a normal thread.

I think it’s counter productive to have sticky threads always at the top of ‘Active threads’. Let them appear in red and at the top if there’s something new since the last visit, if not, well, they aren’t active and shouldn’t appear under ‘Active threads’. I’m sure I’m not the only person who quickly scrolls by the red without even looking.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I’m sure I’m not the only person who quickly scrolls by the red without even looking.

Since I reluctantly started to use the “Active Threads” page because the homepage is already congested with those other sticky threads with images and basically unusable for regular readers (different discussion, I understand it’s not made to benefit regular readers/contributors – unfortunately), I agree with you!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

There was a similar discussion not long ago and it was pointed out that you can hide the sticky threads, by going in to each one and clicking hide, which I now do automatically when one pops up. They then appear again if there is a new post, and you just have to hide it again. It’s a bit of a pain, but not a huge burden.

I think that if the owners think it’s in their best interests to make all those threads sticky, then who are we, who get the service for free, to argue?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message