Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Too many sticky threads?

(Red thread to read thread in one stroke )

EGKB Biggin Hill

I merged the new thread into the previous one on the same topic.

One solution is here

You can block stickies as described above but obviously this works only for people who are logged in. Please see discussion further above. Reading the forum without logging in merely removes some functionality of benefit to the user.

Sticky threads are used to draw attention to topics which non regular readers would very likely miss. EuroGA averages something like 100 posts per day, mostly informative (well, that is always the objective which is why I don’t like long quotes with a +1 at the end, etc) and if someone dips in say every 2 days then they will miss a lot of good stuff. Even on meet-up threads, which run for weeks or months before the date, many people have said to me they never knew about the meet-up until too late.

The banners on the home page are for a similar purpose. I “promote” chosen threads to appear there. I can’t promote threads whose first post contains a sizeable graphic, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Would it be possible to order the sticky threads according to last update, either increasing or decreasing date? That way, one could check the beginning or end of the list to quickly pick up any sticky threads that have been updated since last site visit.

LSZK, Switzerland

I only use this link now (and almost beat myself up when clicking on Active threads):

https://www.euroga.org/forums/recent-threads?nostickies=1

It’s and active threads view with The (normally) sticky threads just behaving like regular threads which is great. I can’t see why a regular / logged in user would want to use anything else.

I have secret hopes that it can either replace active threads or be made a user option one can select, and have a button After the last post of a thread, so that one doesn’t have to type in the bar (since at the moment you can only access it doing that) or scroll up to click and return to the “main” view.

Good link!

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

David did a mod today and sticky threads no longer appear on the home page (www.euroga.org).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

David did a mod today and sticky threads no longer appear on the home page (www.euroga.org).

Cool!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I believe that we again have too many sticky threads. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see much sense for following threads to be sticky:

• UK GA Aircraft Parking Survey – 2018
  • New forum section: ILAFFT (I learned about flying from that)
  • Can more people start threads, please (also New Post feature)
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Are any of the foregoing posts useful? One can hide stickies.

Obviously any user-config-dependent features require one to be logged in, which most people aren’t.

I sometimes use stickies to draw attention to a post which looks like it should be interesting to many but somehow it got missed. We are running at over 100 posts per day and this happens quite often. Once that thread picks up, I normally un-stick it. Similar with the home page banners; these bring in the most people but cannot be used for threads whose first post contains a large graphic; also I don’t like to have more than 3-4 of them.

The one about people starting threads is actually very relevant. If I got a penny every time somebody emails me something for the forum but won’t post it themselves I would have a TBM900 now So that one is going to stay for a bit longer.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The one about people starting threads is actually very relevant. If I got a penny every time somebody emails me something for the forum but won’t post it themselves I would have a TBM900 now So that one is going to stay for a bit longer.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message