Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Too many sticky threads?

Already posted here, but for signed in people that check forum often, it makes no sense to use anything other than

https://www.euroga.org/forums/recent-threads?nostickies=1

Stickies lose their special status on this view.

Noe wrote:

Already posted here, but for signed in people that check forum often, it makes no sense to use anything other than
https://www.euroga.org/forums/recent-threads?nostickies=1
Stickies lose their special status on this view.

I agree. The sticky stuff is irritating. Too much clicking and scrolling. Give me an option on my preference page to remove sticky threads and default to “Active Threads”

United States

Sticky threads are there for good reasons, supporting the way EuroGA works. Many important posts would otherwise be missed because many people visit relatively rarely.

It is like when some pilots requested a feature enabling them to make a particular poster (one not currently posting) invisible. We didn’t do it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And here is the collective feedback about sticky posts. Optimize for those that use the site by getting rid of them, or cut down on the screen real estate they waste. The community has spoken:

would there be a way to mute them

For those who use Active threads it is becoming a bit silly

I’m interested in only get visible after scrolling down

I don’t even visit the main page

I must actually admit that I never look at the stickies

Besides the sticky posts (which I agree with there are too many)

I go straight to the Active Threads page

What reason is there, though, to make the main page (which is the “main” page, after all) “worse”/less usable than the active threads page

I’ve hidden all sticky threads

I do find the that so many sticky threads tend to clutter things up (needlessly)

Has anybody herr ever voted in favour of stickies??

the homepage is already congested with those other sticky threads

The sticky stuff is irritating. Too much clicking and scrolling.

United States

We are always interested in hearing suggestions on how to improve the site. However -

A lot of the above quotes are historical. We are using fewer stickies nowadays.

There is also the alternative link mentioned above, although it works only for logged-in posters. There is no advantage in not being logged in; I guess those that do it, and aren’t using a public computer, do it for “privacy” reasons but – as anyone involved in “web IT” will know – it makes zero difference! The logged-in status (or lack of) is used only to control the presentation of user-specific features, in accordance with good web practice. If, Lucius, you increase your % of logged-in accesses from the historical ~50% to 100%, and use the above link, that should largely solve the problem for you.

To re-iterate what I have written above, the community has to be run to benefit everyone who uses it to some reasonable degree. I know for a fact that if e.g. a thread on a fly-in was not made into a sticky, a large % of people would otherwise miss it. Many people visit rarely, say every few weeks. And EuroGA does get a lot of posts – over 2k per month. It doesn’t take much arithmetic to work out that these people miss out on a lot of good stuff If there was another solution for this, it would be great to hear of it.

We have had suggestions of e.g. regular email digests but I think most people would find those even more annoying and you need only a few to mark such emails as “spam” and then the result (blacklist of the domain) means that genuine emails (e.g. PMs delivered to you by email, as they are) won’t get through. That is incidentally the reason why we do mailings only rarely, do them only to people who logged in within the past 12 months, and skip “anonymous” email addresses.

Administrator

I think a simple solution would be a user preference that can be set, or a link to the non-sticky version page, as I can’t remember exactly what the URL is that’s get rid of them.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

I think a simple solution would be a user preference that can be set, or a link to the non-sticky version page, as I can’t remember exactly what the URL is that’s get rid of them.

Just before this thread reappeared I was going to comment about how many sticky threads there were. On an iPhone it was two pages of threads. Too many in my opinion.

Last Edited by JasonC at 23 Jan 01:17
EGTK Oxford

I now see one under Hangar Talk and four under Trips.

I can see that on a phone one might see pages, but that’s because the screen is so small.

One could make an argument about not having stickies for the meet-ups and have more email reminders, but I wonder how many would like that.

The first sticky above has definitely reduced the % of threads posted in the first topic seen (Flying) which were nothing to do with the topic.

What is the issue with using the Latest Posts button?

That doesn’t show stickies and provides an easy way to catch up since your last visit. As a mod, that is all I ever use to read EuroGA (except when I want to post and then I have to go to the thread, etc).

Administrator

I believe the (many times suggested) option each user could check in settings to have active threads “unstick” threads – present the view that David kindly created (but only accessible through a link) would probably bury this thread forever.
Right now the active threads button is useless to me – i only click on it by mistake, old reflexes pre “good view”. I always end up typing the link (which by now only requires to type E due to auto completion)

The active thread style is in my opinion much btyyer than later posts. I am not interested by what individual posts were written, but instead by what threads have been updated.
This is especially the case if there have been a lot of new posts in a thread. With latest posts I’d just see my whole screen with the same subject and the names of each poster, while active condensed everything in one.

Here’s a screenshot of the 2
Latest posts

Active (without stickies)

Last Edited by Noe at 23 Jan 07:56
Sign in to add your message