Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Too many sticky threads?

I’m sure any tracking and data collection done by Peter and David is negligible by comparison.

Any stats from EuroGA are useless for the “usual purposes” because nobody on EuroGA has a real identity. Even your email address is not visible to google etc because these bots can’t log in (it is advisable to not have an email address in your public profile; there is a field for it but in view of some past activity it is better left blank).

Also we guarantee that nothing will ever be passed on (short of a court order, of course).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

tmo wrote:

Anyway, for me the ?nostickies=1 option is the best thing since tabbed browsing / sliced bread.

Now all the people demands is a button not to have to type the link!

Icing on the cake: One each at the top and the bottom of the page, to not have to scroll up when finishing reading a thread.

FWIW I found that a bookmark pointing to https://www.euroga.org/recent-threads?nostickies=1 solved all my issues, even when not reading EuroGA during offline detoxes of several weeks. Yes, one needs to open a lot of tabs to catch up, and just skim most of the threads, but it’s doable. Yes, you have to be logged in, but come on, you’re logged into the Google/Apple world all the time, and I’m sure any tracking and data collection done by Peter and David is negligible by comparison.

Anyway, for me the ?nostickies=1 option is the best thing since tabbed browsing / sliced bread.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
It then reappears (quite correctly) when a new post is made to it.

OK, you have to know that. Clicking “Hide” feels like a bit too much otherwise.

The active thread style is in my opinion much btyyer than later posts

Yes; OK. Personally I find the “latest posts” mode useful because it gives me a quick scan but I normally check the forum frequently through the day. I do that partly to catch spam and other stuff which needs action. If I checked say once a day it would not be as useful.

the option to click on an “unstick” icon next to each sticky thread, which saves that preference in your profile.

That’s already there

but you have to go into the thread to see it. It then reappears (quite correctly) when a new post is made to it. There is a bug in the code which makes it reappear when a post is made but is deleted, and that issue also exists in other contexts, but perfection is hard to do

Administrator

Noe wrote:

I believe the (many times suggested) option each user could check in settings to have active threads “unstick” threads – present the view that David kindly created (but only accessible through a link) would probably bury this thread forever.

This.

Or, if you want to make it perfect, the option to click on an “unstick” icon next to each sticky thread, which saves that preference in your profile.

The active thread style is in my opinion much btyyer than later posts. I am not interested by what individual posts were written, but instead by what threads have been updated.
This is especially the case if there have been a lot of new posts in a thread. With latest posts I’d just see my whole screen with the same subject and the names of each poster, while active condensed everything in one.

Here’s a screenshot of the 2
Latest posts

Active (without stickies)

Last Edited by Noe at 23 Jan 07:56

I believe the (many times suggested) option each user could check in settings to have active threads “unstick” threads – present the view that David kindly created (but only accessible through a link) would probably bury this thread forever.
Right now the active threads button is useless to me – i only click on it by mistake, old reflexes pre “good view”. I always end up typing the link (which by now only requires to type E due to auto completion)

I now see one under Hangar Talk and four under Trips.

I can see that on a phone one might see pages, but that’s because the screen is so small.

One could make an argument about not having stickies for the meet-ups and have more email reminders, but I wonder how many would like that.

The first sticky above has definitely reduced the % of threads posted in the first topic seen (Flying) which were nothing to do with the topic.

What is the issue with using the Latest Posts button?

That doesn’t show stickies and provides an easy way to catch up since your last visit. As a mod, that is all I ever use to read EuroGA (except when I want to post and then I have to go to the thread, etc).

Administrator

Cobalt wrote:

I think a simple solution would be a user preference that can be set, or a link to the non-sticky version page, as I can’t remember exactly what the URL is that’s get rid of them.

Just before this thread reappeared I was going to comment about how many sticky threads there were. On an iPhone it was two pages of threads. Too many in my opinion.

Last Edited by JasonC at 23 Jan 01:17
EGTK Oxford
86 Posts
Sign in to add your message