Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Top ten (twenty?) busiest GA airfields in your country?

UZA Rock Hill- York County, SC……………….. 46,000 My little non Towered airport

which would rate number 20 in the U.K., just after Shoreham and Jersey according to the CAA.
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Can anyone contribute for Sweden, Norway, Austria, and other places?

As per the link in post #1, I can then send these airports some EuroGA leaflets. I pay for this out of my own pocket but it is very cost effective.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, if you are looking for busy GA airport, Norway is not the place to look If you are not looking for busy GA airports, but some peace and quite, then you have come to the right place There are small strips all over if you look closely.

I think the most busiest GA airports, are also the busiest airline airports. Like Stavanger, Bergen, Trondheim, Tromsø and Bodø maybe. Gardermoen may also count, but why go there when you can go to Kjeller. Then there are aerial sporting airports like Notodden, Elverum (Starmoen) and Oppdal. They are really busy at times, several hundred movements per day, but zero other days.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

I don’t have any statistics, but I would guess some of the more important ones in Sweden are Västerås (ESOW), Säve (ESGP), Linköping (ESSL). In Västerås and Linköping, the local clubs runs the GA centres so you should mail them rather than the airport operators. I don’t know the situation in Säve since it closed as an instrument airport, but I would think the clubs are the best bet there as well. And also commercial flight schools — there are several in Västerås.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Mar 09:03
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK; thanks. I did a google for Västerås aeroclub and found this. Does that look about right, as an example?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

OK; thanks. I did a google for Västerås aeroclub and found this. Does that look about right, as an example?

No, that’s not the one. You got the Stockholm Aeroclub which was evicted from Stockholm/Bromma airport a few years ago together with almost all other GA. They are still in operation with their aircraft based at Västerås and Nyköping (ESKN).

This is the one: http://hasslo.org. Their mail address is: Hässlö Flygförening, Hässlögatan 10, 721 31 Västerås. (Hässlö is the old name of the airport before Ryanair and the like made it “Stockholm/Västerås”.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Adding to @Airborne_Again ’s comment, Västerås/Johannisberg(ESSX) is also a very busy airfield during summer with gliders, Cherokees and meatbombing. All this in a congested airspace makes it very busy during sunny weekends.

In the most southern parts of Sweden there is also a good GA scene but they seem to be equally spread over the area and not concentrated to one airfield.

ESSZ, Sweden

For Austria… I don’t Think there are open Statistics but here are some of the busiest:

Bad Vöslau (LOAV)
Wiener Neustadt (LOAN)
Wels (LOLW)
Schärding/Suben (LOLS)
Zell am See (LOWZ)

To realy reach the local Pilots you are probably best of asking the adressing Airfield to also distribute it to the Clubs, If you want to send it to the Clubs directly this are (from my Knowledge) the biggest Clubs, when it come to No. of Members:

Flugsportzentrum Tirol
Flieger-Union Schärding
Aeroclub Bodensee

Austria

That’s the sort of info I am after. Not worried about stats. Just a feel for the GA-busy places. Every pilot who has flown around his home country a bit will know which ones they are.

Administrator

For Austria, add Stockerau (LOAU) which has a very busy club, it’s NW of Vienna (about 20 miles or so).

Sign in to add your message