Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Traffic Service (UK)

Timothy wrote:

Not uncommon when you sit between two groups who are both on transmit, not receive.

I think that is something very difficult to judge unless you dont have an axe to grind.

At least there are some of us who dont, because we havent been involved in the process in any way, and therefore can be unbiased.

French versus British tax system discussion is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At a meeting.

It takes a lot of blind arrogance to call someone that.

Always interesting to know the career background of the speaker in such situations

General Montgomery had a picture of Rommel hanging in his command tent

Administrator

I’m on receive this afternoon. My batteries are low.

EGLM & EGTN

So the CAA are abusing you and so are we!

Not uncommon when you sit between two groups who are both on transmit, not receive.

Where was that? At some meeting or conference?

At a meeting.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The response was to call me, IIRC, irresponsible, inexperienced and ignorant, or some such combination of words (though quickly followed by an apology).

Where was that? At some meeting or conference?

Administrator

Timothy wrote:

There is too much potential abuse from those that believe that abuse is the best way of furthering their ends for me to comment on that.

I’m not prepared to engage in a surrogate “politics of infringements” discussion on here.

So the CAA are abusing you and so are we!

EGLM & EGTN

My point to the CAA was that if DAs are really RAs or PAs, then they should be designated as such.

The response was to call me, IIRC, irresponsible, inexperienced and ignorant, or some such combination of words (though quickly followed by an apology).

It would be great to get a legal opinion.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I’d love to know the basis under which a DA bust could be prosecuted in a court.

Maybe it can’t be, but (if so) the CAA is sure to know that, and they will not prosecute. The CAA has a very long history (cultivated especially under the previous regime, Mr Weston I believe, who was pretty clever) of not prosecuting, preferring instead to teach people a lesson, or even “settling on the court steps”. Anything to avoid high quality defence lawyers getting stuck into the nooks and crannies of the ANO, creating a precedent.

Regarding French ATC, I think it is a difference in priorities. But actually the UK is the odd one out in Europe. AFAIK in every other country the ATC staff is govt supplied.

Other things which really screw up the UK are e.g.

• a lot of ATCOs are not radar qualified (a radar qualified ATCO is a higher pay grade)
  • NATS charge some 5 digits per year (reportedly; it’s obviously top secret) for the radar data feed, so a radar screen is very expensive (a lot of airfields have a "nonexistent laptop running a nonexistent website (FR24) "
  • an airfield that might use a remotely located approach controller gets billed his pro-rated but fully costed cost (which kills the proposition, at all GA places)
Administrator

Timothy – I know you dont agree, but that is not the case.

Your views are very much respected. I think there is a distinction between what you perceive as abuse and passionate debate.

I have seen no abuse, just robust debate.

37 Posts
Sign in to add your message