Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Transferring a factory built aircraft from LAA permit to CofA

The RV series is a product of the 70s, the RV-3 came out in ’71 and the two seat RV-4 in ’79.

I spent a lot of time as a kid in the 70s visiting airports with my dad. At that time the US ramp rats were immediate post war stuff and economically minded people flew $1500 Cubs and Aeronca Champs. A guy we knew had a C140 and he was restoring it (outside) while still flying it – the seats were reinstalled when he wanted to fly. Paint half stripped and N-numbers taped on. That was a thrifty year old plane at the time.

The guy who ran our local airport had a collection of (mostly) antique planes, mostly pre-war with some unusual stuff like a Stearman Hammond and another one built immediately post-war the name of which I can’t immediately remember (edit: I remembered – it was an Emigh Trojan) that had external wing ribs. People flew stuff like PT-22s and Stinson 108s as their regular planes because Kinner and Franklin engine parts were available. Of course Cessnas and Pipers were everywhere, and when the Mooney 201 came out it created quite a fuss – something like the Pipistrel Panthera except they sold lots of them. There was also a lot of neat older stuff around and the homebuilt scene was going crazy with Vari-Ezes etc being finished weekly. One day a guy with an Aerosport Rail took off and hit a bridge on the upwind – apparently two snowmobile engines weren’t much better than one. RVs were around but they hadn’t really caught on yet. People were a bit scared of building aluminum homebuilts, too much skill and equipment needed. Over the next twenty years, that got resolved with the availability of kits and the composite designs faded in popularity a bit.

So to summarize, in the 70s the US scene was mostly tube-and-rag if you were on a budget. New stuff sold well but if you were on a budget you bought something ‘used’ and it was often 30 years old. The main difference was that radios and avionics, while interesting to many, were not an essential factor – see 1973 AOPA Pilot article below. Also, the cheap 30 year old used planes then had a bit less power and performance than cheap 30 year old used planes today.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Feb 16:15

So your point being?

A fun fact (an attempt at least) with smilies around

1970 is almost 50 years ago. What would a “used” aircraft look like in 1970? Probably something from the 60s or at most the 50s. If it was from the 1920s I think it would be regarded as “ancient”, certainly vintage.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Don’t get personal, guys. Play the ball, not the man, as the saying goes. The CofA / Permit / whatever picture is pretty complex, and there are all sorts of vested interests, in each of the different directions.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Remember they all once were fully ICAO CofA, and it’s not awfully long ago since EASA said “screw all these planes”.

EASA never said such a thing. At least stick to the truth.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

LeSving wrote:

It’s more like the stone age in most people’s view

You’re probably the only one who thinks that way, at the same time building two designs with aerodynamics out of the 1930s and materials out of the 1940s. So your point being?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Thanks and there I was thinking that most countries now had an aging population.
I can’t disagree about technology etc. Can anyone remember Freddie Laker? and whilst I remember having lunch with a top guy from IBM research department when he told me about the introduction of the first PC and what he thought it would be capable of, (I admit I thought he was off his mind) I now note that if you were born sometime after the 70’s you might ask the question “what’s a PC?” So le Sving for those who were born in the 70’s welcome to the stone age, at least we can all say we were there when it all started.

France

Although the term is used by people in different ways, I do find it amusing to see the word ‘vintage’ applied to aircraft made in the 1970s!

Well. Most people living today are born after 1970 Before the PC, mobile phones, internet, electric vehicles, cheap airline tickets, global warming. It’s more like the stone age in most people’s view

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

with CAA numbers:

I still only see about 9000 fixed wing GA planes among all the balloons, microlights and hang gliders.

I think Silvaire is correct. 10k must be the total projected number that would/may eventually end up in a national register instead of having a ICAO CofA. Makes sense.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

10k is more than the entire fixed wing GA fleet in the UK.

I think you picked up an obsolete wiki page. This one is more in line with CAA numbers:

Of the 21,000 civil aircraft registered in the UK, 96 per cent are engaged in GA operations,

That might throw up a strange anomaly in the event of a no deal Brexit. ie that a pilot with a UK CAA licence should still be able to fly his LAA permit to fly Jodel for example all over France whereas they might not be able to do the same with a EASA certified aircraft.

I wonder where these cases would be, because a holder with a UK issued license can fly any G-reg. If the said G-reg is certified, he can fly it worldwide and no ICAO signatory can take that away. 3rd World countries can and usually do require overflight permits.

The issue, on current Brussels position, is that the said pilot won’t be able to fly say a D-reg or F-reg – because Brussels threatens to invalidate UK issued licenses on 29th March

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are several categories of aircraft which the DGAC has responsibility for issuing C of A’s in France. 1) CNRAC covers collection aircraft eg old warbirds and those of historic interest.2) CRNA = amateur built aircraft 3) CNSK = kit built aircraft 4) CDNR = orphans 5) CDN and CDNS both of which are ICAO compliant with the CDNS the “S” stands for special and deals basically with type certificates which have been dropped. 6) ULMs which themselves are divided into five categories.Some aircraft might fit into more than one category.All have one thing in common and that is that the DGAC can only give permission for them to fly in and over France and its territories (except for the ICAO CDN/CDNS which have the right to fly over all territories which have signed the Chicago Convention). France also does have bilateral deals with some other countries for flight in one anothers airspace. I believe there is one with the UK on several categories of aircraft under their respective National CAAs.That might throw up a strange anomaly in the event of a no deal Brexit. ie that a pilot with a UK CAA licence should still be able to fly his LAA permit to fly Jodel for example all over France whereas they might not be able to do the same with a EASA certified aircraft.

Last Edited by gallois at 11 Feb 22:19
France
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message