Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Transit of Geneva inbound \ outbound Annemasse

I am looking at going to Annemasse VFR from the UK. It is an almost straight shot from southern UK as a VFR trip. The only potential airspace in the way is Geneva.

Can I ask those familiar with this area how easily one can get a VFR transit N-S through Geneva airspace?

Also, if approaching VFR, how easy is it to get a “pop up” IFR clearance to use the Geneva ILS for a cloudbreak inbound to Annemasse?

Any info would be appreciated.

Annemasse has no customs/immigration so no-go from the UK. This change happened recently.

I don’t know if the dynamic map mentioned here is current.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter. No problem doing a quick stop in Calais en-route, in that case.

I have only flown VFR in the Geneva area a couple of times, but every time, ATC/FIS urged me to stay clear of the TMA. It’s mostly treated as class A…. that corresponds wih the comments you find on the Swiss forum. The reputation is of one of the most “VFR-unfriendly” ATC units in Europe.

Maybe, for a high level crossing, it’s a bit different (I got a very nice FL145 clearance for Zürich TMA recently). But you, going into Annemasse, would have to be descending whilst crossing the TMA…always a difficult thing to negotiate.

It’s a shame, especially since the area is so mountaineous and the lower limits of the various TMA sectors force you quite low. I faintly remember an accident a few years ago where a VFR aircraft, trying to stay clear of the TMA in poor visibility crashed.

P.S. Likewise, I din’t think they will routinely give you a “popup” IFR clearance for a cloudbreak via the ILS. I think their rationale is that if they do these things occasionally, then the word spreads and everybody will start bothering them with these things…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Oct 11:55
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I used to fly from Sion until a few years ago and, assuming it hasn’t changed since, the GVA class C and D are essentially no-go for VFR unless you are based at Geneva. We always used to make use of the class E rather than try (and then be refused) a transit.

However, it tends to be worse in the ski season (say mid Dec to end March) when both Geneva and Annemasse get very busy. Geneva used to (and may still) put out a NOTAM restricting its use as an alternate and preventing slower traffic (<160 kts) from using the ILS at weekends. Also, in the winter months, a cloud break is very likely to involve sub-zero temps, so depends on what you’re flying.

A plan B would be a very good idea, probably routing to the west of GVA, because the Jura mountains get in the way if going to the east. Of course, if it’s a good VFR day, there is no problem.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message