Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Treatment of arriving flight for Customs/Immigration - based on airport of departure, or based on passport?

My issue is that my residence card expired a few weeks ago and Portugal is so behind on renewals. I’m told by my lawyer that it can take up to 6 months since there are over 400,000 people waiting.

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

However, I’ve seen some airports in Central / Eastern Europe will treat a fuel stop as a fuel stop without clearing customs nor immigration (when I stayed purely airside).

I used to do that regularly at some French airports before Croatia joined Schengen, depending where was more convenient to perform immigration check.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

“tech stop” works in Europe

Tech stops do work, but at some places you have to taxi first to apron, get your wrenches and screwdrivers out, open the cowling, nod your head visibly for the tower and all of a sudden decide the mysterious engine problem must be checked with brand new fuel … ;-). There is a reason refuelling can take an hour.

Germany

However, I’ve seen some airports in Central / Eastern Europe will treat a fuel stop as a fuel stop without clearing customs nor immigration (when I stayed purely airside). But then the system breaks down somewhat, the next country sees an intra-EU flight and doesn’t send their customs officers.

There was one very famous German pilot who fairly forcefully argued here that a “tech stop” works in Europe but I now think he either was not actually doing it, or he was doing it in Belgrade where it didn’t matter because he departed from Stuttgart and flew on to Alexandria or Cairo, so both ends had Customs/Immigration anyway so would not have cared about what happened in Belgrade.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wingover wrote:

Do you have to do it in the “first port of entry” or can you do it at the final destination?

In principle, it is very much done on first port of entry. 100% so if you exit airside at any point, and theoretically also 100% in other cases.

However, I’ve seen some airports in Central / Eastern Europe will treat a fuel stop as a fuel stop without clearing customs nor immigration (when I stayed purely airside). But then the system breaks down somewhat, the next country sees an intra-EU flight and doesn’t send their customs officers. 🤷

Wingover wrote:

My issue is that I am a Canadian citizen living in Portugal and was told that I could run into problems clearing customs in other EU countries and should fly directly to Portugal when coming from outside the EU since other EU countries don’t really care that I live in Portugal and may count my stay as “over stay”.

Claptrap, assuming your have a Portuguese resident card. With that resident card (and your passport), you have (for temporary stays) freedom of movement in all of the EU+EFTA, and within the Schengen zone without undergoing any border check. Now, if you want to move to another EU country, that’s another question.

ELLX

Wanted to know the option to clean customs into the EU when flying from non EU country. Do you have to do it in the “first port of entry” or can you do it at the final destination? My issue is that I am a Canadian citizen living in Portugal and was told that I could run into problems clearing customs in other EU countries and should fly directly to Portugal when coming from outside the EU since other EU countries don’t really care that I live in Portugal and may count my stay as “over stay”.

Anyone had any experience with such a situation?

[ post moved to existing thread @Wingover ]

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

LeSving wrote:

Travelling to the UK is like going back in time some 20-30 years. Lots of lines for customs and immigration.

No lines for customs (it’s just a red/green/blue channel which the passenger self-selects: I have never ever seen a line here). Very few lines for passport control. Nearly everyone goes through the e-gates now, including US citizens where there’s enough machines and quick enough processing a line never forms.

Andreas IOM

That I am sure is true. Domestic stuff goes a different route.

Administrator

At STN and LHR there is a separate channel for arrivals from the CTA – no passport checks. Haven’t done it in a while, but I used to fly between London and Scotland on occasion and never had an immigration check on either end.

Just passed through North Terminal at Gatwick.

1 common route leading to passport checks. No relation to airport or country of departure.

This is no doubt a pragmatic solution, because everybody passes through a pipeline for customs/immigration.

Administrator
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message