Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trig TN72 (GPS for ADSB) and how to check if your ADS-B OUT works

Here

The cost of this unit is apparently £299. It can be connected to a Trig transponder and you have a full ADSB out (it seems?). If I get this right, I can just purchase this unit for £299 and I have full ADSB out? I have a trig transponder, and 299£ is cheap enough to come in the “why not” category. Looks really small also.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If I understand the regulations correctly, isn’t it supposed to be SBAS-enabled to have non-zero quality flag for ADS-B?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Also TCAS systems like the Avidyne ones will not show these targets; see e.g. this thread

So this sort of product won’t achieve anything more than say a FLARM box in that almost nobody will see it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

do I get it correct that this device will do more or less the same as if you connect a non waas GNS430 to your Trigg transponder? So it´s for folks who don´t have a GPS which can provide the signal? But it would not be enough to fulfill the full ADS-B requirements such as a WAAS unit will?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This is on the Trig page:

Once configured, the TN72 GPS receiver provides precise and reliable data with non-zero quality indicators. This technical standard supports current and future air to air collision avoidance and situational awareness applications. TN72 certification is based upon an FAA standard known as Traffic Awareness Beacon System or TABS for short. In contrast to uncertified position sources the TN72 is more dependable and is visible to all types of ADS-B In traffic receivers.

This is a certified device, but maybe I’m missing something ? 299£ and full ADSB out!

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

No, not full ADS-B OUT for mandated airspace, but a SIL-1 which means certified ADS-B IN systems (such as a TCAS Hybrid and ADS-B compatible TAS systems) will see it.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 05 Dec 11:57
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Peter wrote:

So this sort of product won’t achieve anything more than say a FLARM box in that almost nobody will see it.

That only affects high end units, which will show the Mode-S transponder anyway. Things like PowerFLARM are affordable and show ADS-B SIL-anything, and plenty of “higher risk of collision” aircraft (glider tugs) carry PowerFLARM. Also PilotAware is very cheap and will show it. I bet for every fancy Avidyne system being flown in relatively low level VFR flight, there are ten PowerFLARM/PilotAware devices.

If radiating ADS-B becomes inexpensive, more people will be encouraged to fit it, and the uptake of affordable ADS-B receivers will also go up. The Avidynes of this world don’t really need it because they can already show the position of transponding aircraft that lack any kind of ADS-B.

In any case it looks like this one is SIL >0. At that price point I would consider it a “must have” for when I upgrade my transponder to Mode-S.

Last Edited by alioth at 05 Dec 12:27
Andreas IOM

Looking at the Trig website, the ariel for this device is pretty much the same cost as the GPS…so circa 600 Euro

Hampshire

And I, in my simple mind, thought ADSB was ADSB

What exactly would be missing with this device? If I install this, and later on some ADSB-in, would some aircraft with ADSB not show up? Or would I not show up on other aircraft? Ground units? Would I show up on FR24? (probably just as important, if not more )

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving thank you for posting and am bumping this back to understand better how one might future proof an avionics update for a simple aircraft.

I attach a lovely restored original 185 panel – budget aside a GTN650 with a GTX 33 remote transponder would make a very simple lite IFR installation, with another COM box perhaps.

How future proofed is this?

For the layman brought up on KNS80 and ADF, what will an ADSB in/out environment provide? Traffic, Weather?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message