Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip from Dublin to Prague

I am CZ local. Don´t take QNH/reg QNH so seriosly. Regional QNH is the lowest QNH in the whole FIR. So it has little value unless there is high pressure all across whole country. To be honest, I never use it. While you are under TMA or in TMA/CTR you are using QNH for that given airport. And when you are outside somewhere in the middle of nowhere what´s the value if you are flying 1000 ft AGL? Only if you fly higher so you should stick to prescribed altitudes/flight level.
So for arrival use the closest “bigger airport” /LKPR, LKKV, LKTB or LKMT/ – check ATIS for their QNH – if you are unable to speak to that given airfield in English. Most of airfield have someone on radio during weekends, the issue is language. Give them call the day before departure and you might be lucky to get someone with at least some English.
here you can find all you need – -VFR manual

Last Edited by Michal at 28 May 07:24
LKKU, LKTB

I never use any QNH on a VFR flight outside of controlled aerodromes. Just adjust my altimeter based on the GPS. Ever since I had a clogged static system and busted the approach minimum in IMC, I have the GPS altitude always displayed on my screen and always check both. This is how I learned to appreciate the highly exact GPS altitude. Before WAAS/EGNOS GPS altitude was poor but now it is accurate to a few feet — all the time. On an IFR flight, you always use ATC’s QNH obviously (unless you do IFR OCAS).

I believe that for VFR there is no reason to look for QNH sources these days — everybody got a GPS.

Flyer59 thats interesting, I usually get “full service” or nothing, I was in rakovnik recently and got full info. Yes letnany has full AFIS and INFO service but this is probably the point. I guess these guys at local small airfields are not comfortable to use english or there is missing knowledge or something like that. Different approach with local language probably

I see, submitted before reading response from michal, yep it is language issue….

Last Edited by Pimparoo at 28 May 07:40
LKLT.LKBE

I believe that for VFR there is no reason to look for QNH sources these days — everybody got a GPS.

Except, of course, that all airspace limits and all ATC clearances are based on barometric altitude.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Except, of course, that all airspace limits and all ATC clearances are based on barometric altitude.

One hPa QNH difference accounts for 27ft down low. There shouldn’t be a big difference between your own GPS derived QNH and some QNH that you get from somewhere. That “somewhere” is actually the crucial thing — there is no clear and unique source for QNH when you’re VFR and not in a terminal area. So GPS altitude is a precise and always available reference.

Antwerp is a nice airport. They are very friendly towards GA and even the plane spotters are on the apron (with hi-vis).
I’ve been there recently and it wasn’t expensive.

There is not much point to fly through Netherlands,
Do you plan to have a prolonged stop at Coburg to see the Veste (castle)?

United Kingdom

Thanks for input, Im already loving this forum. Unlike others, the atmosphere here is great with loads of great feedback.

@mdoerr: Yes, I wont be going trough Netherlands, make more sense to just stay south and continue towards Germany.

I will probably be staying overnight in Coburg, so looking forward to see whats out there.

Any other friendly places near Coburg that’s worth stopping by?

Thanks

Evo400

Achima,
that’s a good method – but outside the TMAs in the Czech Republic you fly by REGIONAL QNH, which is a fictional number. GPS-altitude doesn’t help.

Pimparoo,
When I fly to Rakovnik, like Monday morning 9 o’clock, there’s never anybody there, no matter what language I speak! So the correct procedure is using PRAHA QNH (or GPS altitude) for the approach. They do have an automated weather service on the internet though and a webcam, I usually check both (there’s a big chimney of a factory in the background of the webcam picture which is a good wind indicator)

but outside the TMAs in the Czech Republic you fly by REGIONAL QNH, which is a fictional number. GPS-altitude doesn’t help.

I don’t think people really do that. I would just ignore that regional QNH.

Why should i ignore it? It’s really not that hard to use. You are a real rebel, Achim ;-)

Sign in to add your message