Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip from south west of France to Helsinki and return via Stockholm and Copenhagen

Hi all
A polite request for information about that trip.I want to make it this summer with my airplane,a rallye 85 kts ias.
What airports do you advise ,i want to see Vilnius,Riga,Tallin (airport seems very expensive),Helsinki.
Thanks a lot for your help.

LFDU, Belgium
My suggestions-

Spilve (http://spilve.org) for Riga, definitely. For Lithuanuia- never been to Vilnius by plane, but looked expensive .. Pociunai is very big gliding club – http://www.pociunai.lt between Vilnius and Kaunas.Also has AVGAS. Kaunas has Darius i Girenas for General Aviation. For Tallinn, lets hope for the best, the AOPA EE has shown the feedback about high prices on SD to airport authorities, maybe something changes. Tartu is also nice city, 8 EUR landing + 1EUR overnight parking outside, 2hour to tallinn by train :) Ridali gliding club ( www.purilend.ee) has Morane with Franklin engine.
For helsinki – Malmi – http://efhf.fi

EETU, Estonia

Bienvenue Rallye !
This trip looks like an adventure in a MS880 ! Keep us posted !
Haghenau, Colmar and Donaueschingen have hotels on the airfield. Hope it helps.

LFOU, France

Great trip! If you stay overnight in Stockholm you should fly and park at ESSE, Skå-Edeby. It is possible to get an Uber or taxi to/from the airfield. ESSB/Bromma is not worth it in my opinion.

On the way through Sweden you could land at ESSI/Visingsö and also ESMH/Höganäs.

EKRK/Roskilde for Copenhagen is reasonably priced with good facilities.

You can send me a pm as you get closer to your trip and I might be able to help you out around Stockholm.

ESSZ, Sweden

Thanks Ivark.Spilve is in my planning and i found an airport near Vilnius.I don’t like gliders aerodromes,because i planned to land in Turun (polen) and the comments on euroga where very negative (only Polski,no English and nobody at the radio).It is my 1st long trip alone pilot,so i don’t research difficulties.
I saw also the expensive landing in Tallin on SD and my idea was to land at Malmi and going by ferry to Tallin instead of paying idiot landing fees,except if something change there.
To answer to jujupilot,it is a MS 892 and i start at LFDU (near Bordeaux) in the wine area.
For Fly 310,thanks for your offer by pm,i plan to land at Roskilde and i will look to ESSE and yes i will overnight in Stockholm to visit it.I will not do hat trip without visiting all what i may.
I try to avoid water areas,i will look to ESSI and ESMH
Already thanks for your help.

LFDU, Belgium

Hi Rallye, let me know when you start your trip. The glider airfields I mentioned (Ridali and Pociunai) have been very friendly and both also manage to speak English.
We might even do a part of a trip together- I have to fly to Denmark this year for my 3rd year CAMO inspection.. Originally I planned a nice long trip thorugh CZ,Slovenia, Austria, Germany etc, but in the current situation Estonia-Sweden-Denmark is more realistic. I have a Cherokee-140 so 85kt airspeed is OK.

EETU, Estonia

Malmi is still at high risk of closure so go while you can.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 20 Apr 05:57
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Roskilde is a bit out from town but otherwise very nice and fair priced. Alternative can be Vejrø, which should be particular nice, but more expensive and no AVGAS. Generally for fuel look for the German airfields with Warter fuel – there is a major price difference. Currently Rendsburg is 1,8€ / ltr- I think there are others close to 3€. Roskilde has unleaded fuel, but more or less priced as 100LL. Sweden has quite meany places with Hjelmco UL96/91 and many are resonable priced. On your trip I would plan for fuel in Germany and Sweden as much as possible.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

I did a email to Tallin and received an answer.For my airplane 980 kg MTOW,the price +- 25 euros …+ 150 euros handling (mandatory).I told the girl ,it was far too expensive So definitively it will be Malmi.If all the asters are on my side, i will try to start around mid july. Also depending if the countries are open and meteo of course.
My trip actually is LFDU,Bourges,Namur,Geldekersee,Massury,Vilnius (near),Rige and Malmi.Return via Turku,stockholm,copenhagen,Geldekersee,Namur (Belgium).
For the moment,it is a dream and in the future months i will try to make it realistic.

LFDU, Belgium

ivark wrote:

Darius i Girenas
Quite agree on this one. Very friendly, no landing fee (2017), fuel weekdays and best of all 10 mins by cab to centre of Kaunas, lovely city. Kaunas is 1 hr by train to Vilnius. Got agreement to go to Kyviskes, just E of Vilnius on the train line, very friendly but no fuel, didn’t go due wx.

Spilve is excellent, but a little rudimentary. They have a rule about yellow jackets – unusual in the Baltics – found out why while unloading in the parking area to have a microlight land right over the top of me on the ramp!!

Also agree about expensive Tallinn, but still use it (the ferry is quite expensive too). There is a flying club at Tallinn with their own parking, might be worth trying to cut a deal with them. Did go to Parnu, S. Estonia, very welcoming, affordable, fuel. Don’t know about the train ride to Tallinn though, or if there is one.

An alternative to Malmi is Hyvinkka, on the train line about 1/2 Hr N. of Helsinki, have fuel for members very friendly. If (when) Malmi goes, Helsinki will be a tough GA destination – anyone landed a PA-28 at Vantaa?

Hope the situation improves for your trip. I’m not counting on it (early Sept for me) based on what my friends up there are saying.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message