Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip from Sweden (ESME) to Croatia (LDSB)

Hej guys! Thanks for all the valuable information.

It seems Croatia is a nice place to fly GA, and they seem to be welcoming, which is a great thing!

Martin: Nice report! Instead of Graz I have Wr. Neustadt Ost (LOAN), they gave me good price (27€ for everything). Otherwise the trip is pretty much the same on the way down. On the way up, and if weather is permitting, I have replanned over Bosnia to Heviz Balaon (LHSM) for refueling and stretching legs. Whether we are going to stay there for a night or proceed directly to Leipzig is still to be decided. All the legs are done with at least 2 hours of planned reserve fuel, so that should be fine =)

ESME, ESMS

Croatia is a wonderful place to fly You get great value trips, especially to the islands. The Alps crossing makes it even more spectacular.

Split and Dubrovnik are an issue, especially in the summer, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Split and Dubrovnik are an issue, especially in the summer, however.

Why do you think Dubrovnik is an issue? It’s the most trouble free and service-oriented airport you could imagine. None of the slot/parking troubles like in Split.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Multiple reports of parking limitations in the summer. Could well be past history.

Administrator

martin-esmi wrote:

the route through the Alps from Salzburg down to Slovenia is truly stunning, but it’s not something I would do with unexperienced passengers or being the sole pilot onboard without experience from the alps, it’s easy to take a wrong turn :)

I have done several trips through the Alps as an “unexperienced” pilot from the flatlands.
See for example this trip report.

If the weather is nice and you stick to the published GAFOR routes and use a moving map tool (Skydemon is great as it depicts the GAFOR routes with the WX forecast for that route and has a TERRAIN SAFE feature) it is perfectly doable.
But I can very well imagine that a first flight from Sweden to Croatia is already challenging enough and that you want to keep the Alps for another time.

Croatia is beautiful for flying. The VFR routes along the coast are astonishing. Keep us updated on your trip!

Multiple reports of parking limitations in the summer. Could well be past history.

A reliable source for pilot reports on airports is EDDH.de. Unfortunately in German only. The reports on LDDU are all very positive and no indication of possible parking limitations.

I’ve been there in Summer season and it was a great experience, with friendly staff and reasonable fees.

Regarding parking at Brac (LDSB) I asked the airport agent that greeted us when we visited in July, she said they are never full and thus, no need to request parking in advance. It can be a bit crowded during peak days, but there is always space.

With the popularity increasing and the upcoming additional extension of the runway, that might change though.

I really think Brac has benefited a lot from 4.5 years of EuroGA publicity and from > 1000 pilots reading EuroGA daily. It’s really great to see it getting busy, after years of very little happening and several near-closures. They are also very pro-GA.

We had a great fly-in there in Sep 2016.

Administrator

I really think Brac has benefited a lot from 4.5 years of EuroGA publicity and from > 1000 pilots reading EuroGA daily.

You should be on their Christmas card list ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

We are back from the trip now, we only made it to Dresden and back. The reason was a faulty battery. We got help from personell in Dresden to start the aircraft and decided to return to Sweden in order to avoid similar events further down the trip.

I’m writing an article now about the trip, I will let you know when it’s ready.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message