Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip from Sweden (ESME) to Croatia (LDSB)

Sorry to hear that!

ESSZ, Sweden

To sad, good decision to go back though. I bit too adventurous to risk to revert to hand propping. Better luck next time..

ESG..., Sweden

Did you not consider installing a new battery enroute?

If it’s not an obscure aircraft, a new battery can be arranged within a day. Installation is no problem.

There aren’t any longer trips without technical problems in GA aircraft. A battery is nothing really. You will get used to it.

If it’s your plane, sure. Just get a battery shipped overnight to where you are. DHL, maybe €100-150. But if you are renting, that just isn’t going to happen. The CAMO has to authorise the local company to do the work… etc etc etc.

Gill batteries do this, IME. Pass the load test and then suddenly fail a few weeks later. Happened to me in France c. 2008. It looked like a failed starter motor and I got ripped off €1500 for a new one (which turned out to be old stock and failed after a few weeks). This was at Tarbes

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is much more typical for Concorde Gel batteries to die suddenly (and this has been confirmed by the experience of many pilots on COPA), but of course it can happen to a Gil too.

In Dresden the installation could have been arranged within one day. Had you asked for help i would have arranged that for you.

It is much more typical for Concorde Gel batteries to die suddenly

Hmmm, no way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When I eventually also get to longer trips, my first action if any issues will for sure be to give EuroGA a call… :-)

Best of luck with your Croatia plans next time guys!

ESOW, Sweden

Flying with a dead battery is no good. IFR is a no-go and even VFR bad things can happen if it is still connected to your circuit. Also the battery is a required component, taking load spikes and acting as a capacitor. You can cause damage to your avionics by flying with a dead battery. Unless it’s a very old type, the aircraft is not airworthy with a broken battery and must not depart. An onsite replacement is the right thing to do.

With an all electric Cirrus a jump start attempt with a completely discharged Battery 1 regularly leads to a fried electrical system – and sometimes the avionics get damaged too.

The battery MUST be removed and either charged externally or replaced.

Sign in to add your message