Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip in 3 weeks, Germany ideas for airfields

Is that JeppFD or JeppTC?

JeppFD. One chart at a time, maybe – but then, how many do you need? For my home base for example, I need one taxi chart, the ILS for both runway directions, and an SID chart for each direction. I can’t remember when I last had to fly a STAR (must have been before the year 2000…). And it’s all in the Nav database of the aeroplane anyway. So fiive charts overall. The printer will buffer them while you select one after the other, all in all a matter of one minute.

Last Edited by what_next at 29 Jun 10:34
EDDS - Stuttgart

Is that JeppFD or JeppTC? I am not aware of another Jepp product for the Ipad which can display terminal charts. These two can print one page at a time (Airprint, or whatever other printing solution you have) which is impractical for any larger airport. I asked Jepp about this in their seminar and they said that is intentional and they are not going to offer a capability to e.g. print a whole airport’s charts in one go to a PDF (or anything else).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

People who have Jepps on an Ipad can’t print anything (usefully) – paper or PDF.

Strange. We use Jeppesen (IFR) on iPads and everthing can be printed on paper easily (via AirPrint capable printers). Charts and reference pages. JeppView (IFR) copies the whole reference section as one big PDF document (approx 1000 pages for the EUR edition alone) to iBooks when you first try to open it. That pdf document could even be emailed to someone…

I have not seen Jeppesen VFR on the iPad yet but we have a license on a desktop PC in our crew room for the ocasional flight to a VFR airfield. The desktop version lets you save every chart as PDF which one then can upload to an iPad for example (that’s how I do it). With access to such an installation, a trip kit can be produced in a matter of minutes.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes, Jeppesen VFR charts are fine for Germany, equivalent to the DFS AIP charts. In addition, it is worthwhile to check the web site of the airfield.

OK – that’s very useful.; thanks.

I wondered if there was anything special in the “text pages”. While it is easy for someone with Jeppview to print off a specific airport’s VFR or IFR charts to a PDF, the text pages aren’t organised in that way and are a more linear list of stuff. Also copy/paste is disabled on it, but an entire section (for a given country) can be printed to a PDF.

People who have Jepps on an Ipad can’t print anything (usefully) – paper or PDF.

Administrator

Those approach charts copies available on the airfield websites are often 10 years out of date; 5 years if you are lucky!

Again, for a limited number of airfields, nowadays, the easiest way is to have someone (who has a Jepp or DFS VFR subscription) mail electronic copies to you.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Jun 06:44
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Many German fields publish an approach chart on their website, though of course always with the proviso “not to be used for actual navigation”. Still I wonder if one could make do with these – the a/d operators will surely keep them up to date, but what are the risks of/when getting ramp checked? Any other “con” points?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Are the VFR Europe charts sufficient for VFR in Germany?

Yes, Jeppesen VFR charts are fine for Germany, equivalent to the DFS AIP charts. In addition, it is worthwhile to check the web site of the airfield.

Hello Mark,
the German VFR AIP is not available on the internet, only the ifr part is. It is a shame but this is the current situation. You will definitely need the VFR approach plates. So your choices are 1) buy a German AIP trip kit at 59 Euro 2) buy the trip kit from Jeppesen for 107 Euro 3) at many German airfields the blue AIP folder will be available so you can make copies 4) there is a mini version of the AIP called fliegertaschenkalender for about 20 Euro 5) ask someone how has got one of these to help you out. 6) if you only need one airfield you can call then and ask if the tower people can email you a copy. Often they will help you to make sure everything goes well if you fly in.
But as bosco says you need these charts. The noise procedure is important at German uncontrolled airfields and they will get angry if you do not follow it. Lately I heard a foreign pilot flying straigt over the village next to our airport. Then the tower people complained and he corrected the mistake by going backward over the village again to join the proper circuit ;-)
There is also some more information like phone numbers and opening times but all that can usually be found on the airfield website also. Finally concerning the phone numbers I have been quite lucky to reach someone. But on small airfields all the phone numbers will also be on the website. The AIP phone numbers are most valuable on the big airfields which do not have any website for pilots but only for passengers and investors.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Not really, but that’s all one is looking for really.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Are the VFR Europe charts sufficient for VFR in Germany?

or not knowing whether it’s necessary to drop the “0” of the area code

I know that (not for Italy, for example)…..

but it’s really no worse than any other aviation telephone directory

That’s probably true, but at the price they should do more due diligence.

However the AIPs (where Jepp get this data from) are more accurate today than 10 years ago.

I think that is one of those presumptions of yours

Really?

Last Edited by Peter at 28 Jun 23:06
Administrator

Does a “Jepp trip kit” have any more in it than the Jeppview charts, VFR Europe, plus the bits of the text pages applicable to the specific airports?

Not really, but that’s all one is looking for really.

Years ago I used to fly with the Jepp “Bottlang” paper guides (carried 20-30kg of them on the trips to e.g. Crete) and they were basically the VFR charts from what is today called Jeppview 4, plus some text pages full of out of date phone numbers.

I think that is one of those presumptions of yours…sure, occasionally, some phone numbers don’t work, but it’s really no worse than any other aviation telephone directory. I’m convinced that most of the “out of date phone numbers” derive from people not knowing the proper country codes (or not knowing whether it’s necessary to drop the “0” of the area code…)…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one