Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip report - Slovenia Croatia Greece Corsica, September 2015

As usual a great report with good background on decision making, many thanks.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Nice one, Peter!

I wonder if the format is right.

This last report has a lot of photos.

Obviously I generate the 1600px wide versions automatically (both 900px and 1600px get done in one go, from the camera originals, after processing DNGs in Lightroom) but the Q is whether one should have so many inline pics in the first place. I tried to keep only those relevant to illustrate the flight(s) but still ended up with a lot.

OTOH I know a lot of people just go through the photos.

Anyway I was glad to have hauled a decent camera with me – you just cannot get the same result with any phone…

What I don’t want to do is to do what so many others do which is to use some standard “blog” format because I know many people read the first section and that’s it. OTOH, a properly designed site (i.e. highly complex HTML, style sheets, etc) should be more mobile device friendly… OTOH it will not work with some clients, whereas my site is visible on every browser ever made.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A very enjoyable and inspiring trip report, thanks Peter! :-)

UK, United Kingdom

Great report. Lots of information for future trips.

How long did it take you to write up the report?

What did you eventually resolve with Nice ATC? They didnt let you climb so what?

e Nice ATC will not allow any climb, presumably in order to drive home the point! The same happened to me on the final leg of this trip – Bastia-Shoreham…

KHTO, LHTL

Too long

The whole process, starting with ~1500 raw pics (of which 2/3 were discarded, after processing the retained ones in Lightroom) and ending up with the final pics for my own album, and writing the report, about 4 days.

The report is my standard “template” and is driven mostly by the photo sequence, and then I fill in info from the in-flight notes on the plogs, etc. During each trip I save up stuff like routes, wx data, etc.

Justine often does her notes on the places we visit but she hasn’t yet done that for this report.

I do these writeups to encourage pilots to go places.

Nice ATC just pretended to not hear me when I asked for a climb to FL150.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@C210_Flyer – Did you see your Centurion in one of the photos in Corfu ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Excellent….

Interesting loss of GPS signal over Athens….I presume the RAIM prediction was ok and there were no Notams….quite a worry….did you check the USCG NANU site?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

Interesting loss of GPS signal over Athens

Isn’t there some reporting bias going on? If I posted a message every time my DME (King KN-62) lost ranging (invariably during approaches, as enroute nav is nowadays GNSS exclusively) without a NOTAM, you’d probably be more worried about DME than GNSS

But agreed, a backup for all nav technologies is needed…

LSZK, Switzerland

Ok….my question was whether Peter had checked for RAIM outages….which AFAIK is required for a non-WAAS navigator….and assuming he had but still experienced an outage did he retrospectively check for NANUs…. Sorry if that’s somehow reporting bias

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message