Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip report: Southern Europe 2018 Tour with a S22T

Thanks for the nice report. We almost met in LEGR, we were there the week before

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Very nice trip and pictures indeed! I still have Madeira on my bucket list. Was wondering about the need for full face oxygen masks at FL150, but for sure they do deliver oxygen!

EDLE, Netherlands

Super report and super pics Thank you for posting them.

It’s a very scenic part of Europe to fly. And so few people have made it so far down – especially VFR. This is a real inspiration to many.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you guys!

AeroPlus wrote:

Very nice trip and pictures indeed! I still have Madeira on my bucket list. Was wondering about the need for full face oxygen masks at FL150, but for sure they do deliver oxygen!

Yeah not so necessary but it was the only oxygen equipment available on board.

LILV, Italy

We visited Tenerife in the plane and it was great. I had low expectations but they were far exceeded – a nice part of the world. Excellent report and pictures.

EGTK Oxford

What a great ad for GA in Europe – you were lucky to actually get parking at Ibiza!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Parking is not really a problem for light GA even in summer. They have restrictions for private Jet Amount of the invoice is an other story…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Amazing trip indeed.
I read a report from a French crew that flew VFR to Madeira in a PA28 a long time ago.
It is amazing how the parachute gives peace of mind and confidence for long overwater flights.

Not 1% of pilots I know would dare to do such legs in a basic SEP.

LFOU, France

I have been to Tenerife twice and remember that we once arrived at around 16.00 local time, knowing we had to leave for El Hierro (island) as fast as we could, as the airport of El Hierro would close at 18.00.

But Murphy’s law started to wag its tail. The first delay happened because of a royal visit – the son of the King of Spain came in with his Dassault Falcon, and that grounded us for a significant amount of time. Then, when we were allowed to leave for El Hierro, the cloud ceiling had dropped to below 500 feet. Because of that, ATC no longer allowed us to depart under VFR.

We quickly prepared and filed an IFR-flight plan which was approved and active within minutes, so off we went. We tried to enjoy the spectacular scenery of the Canary Islands during sunset, while we flew to El Hierro as fast as our Piper would allow us to. We touched down at El Hierro at 17.58, just minutes before closing.

Madeira is still on my bucket list plus a visit of Madeira itself. Our oldest daughter is crazy about Ibiza. It is just too bad that the landing/handling over there is zo expensive. Hope someday it will change again.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 31 Jan 20:57
EDLE, Netherlands

Looking forward to your biography some day, @aeroplus ;-)

EBST, Belgium
Sign in to add your message