Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip report: Southern Europe 2018 Tour with a S22T

@airways: I did write a book about my flying adventures through Africa, which can be found at Amazon here.

EDLE, Netherlands

Mark0505 wrote:

Ibiza (LEIB): Landing fees for 2 overnights around 550€ (No joke!) (Handling mandatory) We did not refuel here.

Must be because you were just 2POB, for our family with 5POB it is about EUR 850

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Antonio: Exacly. The 60€ screening fee per crew/passenger for each way it’s just crazy

LILV, Italy

AeroPlus wrote:

Then, when we were allowed to leave for El Hierro, the cloud ceiling had dropped to below 500 feet. Because of that, ATC no longer allowed us to depart under VFR.

500ft is admitted low and I would have preferred IFR like you did, but did you try getting an SVFR clearance?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Mark0505
How did you find airport/immmigration/security procedures in the Canaries?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Antonio: Really easy in Lanzarote. The GA parking is right in front of the customs office and after a brief docs check and declaration they let you out. I surely suggest Lanzarote as port of entry.
In most of the Canaries airport (if you don’t have handling), you need to walk into the main terminal and find the airport AIS office where to pay the fees. It’s everytime a bit hidden and even if you ask to the staff members sometimes they are not aware of it. You just need to go to the AENA officies that in Lanzarote are just between 2 check-in desk and they will kindly make you pay and sometimes (in Lanzarote happened) they provide you a MET briefing for free.
I would always suggest to everyone flying in the Canaries to check you-fly.com website since there are plenty of useful info by other pilots.

Last Edited by Mark0505 at 01 Feb 16:40
LILV, Italy

Grazie @Mark0505

Impressive trip. I’d like to emulate one day!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Nice trip Mark. Given me some great ideas for a trip in summer!

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

Quote 500ft is admitted low and I would have preferred IFR like you did, but did you try getting an SVFR clearance?

I can’t remember, but it was just as easy to file IFR. I remember that we had a satellite tracker (at that time called the Delorme Inreach, now called Garmin Inreach) and someone at my office calling the tower at El Hierro to tell them where I was and that we were going to be there almost, which helped getting in just in time.

We flew into Lanzarote from Fez, Marocco and the customs, getting fuel, etc. was all very relaxed.

EDLE, Netherlands

Antonio wrote:

500ft is admitted low and I would have preferred IFR like you did, but did you try getting an SVFR clearance?

ATC can’t grant an SVFR clearance unless the observed ceiling is at least 600 ft. SERA.5010(c)(2)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Feb 17:56
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message