Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Greece, Eastern 2019

Has anyone managed to arrange their own IFR slots at a greek airport? LGAV, LGIR, LGRP or LGST?

Can I just send to : [email protected] with a /reg message – or will they reject it if I am not a registered handler?

There has been lots of previous discussion of this. My vague recollection is that nobody has managed to get a slot booked via the central allocation contact, and everybody has got the handler to do it, for which the handlers charge €50. And another €50 if you change the slot time

However these guys could not manage a p1ssup in a brewery and it changes every year

At LGST when I went there last year I never established contact (their email didn’t seem to work, as is the case a lot in Greek aviation “management”; I got their emails but they didn’t get mine, perhaps due to stupid spam filters) but nothing happened; I just … landed

LGST is basically easy. First time I went there, 2004, I went upstairs to pay the landing fee and Mr Dimitris said “landing fee??? welcome to Greece!”. Things have changed; they now have the vast €100,000,000 passenger terminal and are recruiting staff from as far as Mongolia to fill it up So the policemen there very very carefully inspect your passport even for an internal flight within Greece

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Sabbasolo we went to LGAV on IR flightplan without requesting a slot in advance and it was fine. We just requested PPR for the technical landing.

EDDS , Germany

You can’t send slot request message yourself although the process is described.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Ioánnina is worth to stay overnight. We enjoyed the boat trip to the island in the lake as well as the old fortress with its museums. Then we decided to live for Szeged LHUD, because of the bad weather over the alps. And because we have never been there and it’s a beautiful town. We payed 53 € at Ioánnina for handling and parking. Again a good price with the AOPA discount. Thank you to AOPA Greece @petakas ! Also refuelling worked and due of some low hanging clouds we departed IR and ha a beautiful flight at FL 120.

Last Edited by eddsPeter at 03 May 16:10
EDDS , Germany

So today we finished our vacation to Greece. Early in the morning we departed at Szeged LHUD to avoid the worst weather flying IR in Hungary at Altitude 4000 ft and then passing Austria at FL/ALT 6000 ft. My planing was fine and so we didn’t needed too much TKS and could avoid icing. Climbing on top was today no option without a turbo.
All in all we have done around 2250 nm and enjoyed a very nice trip. And to name it: Greece was much easier as most of the time mentioned here. Always friendly people, the handling was helpful and thanks to AOPA Greece for the given service the pricing was in an absolute acceptable range. Finally we expected some hassles and found none.

EDDS , Germany

Greece was much easier as most of the time mentioned here. Always friendly people, the handling was helpful and thanks to AOPA Greece for the given service the pricing was in an absolute acceptable range. Finally we expected some hassles and found none.

I am not surprised. Those who do even just the most basic planning (and you do it all properly anyway) report no problems too.

And the always friendly locals make it even better

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing!

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

petakas wrote:

They don’t need the card copy since they can VERIFY its validity if they have the name surname and number by going to www.aopa.gr —> Members —> Member Card …

It doesn’t work with my Swedish AOPA card.

ESME, ESMS

Correct.
I should have said this is only for AOPA Hellas cards.
Anyway, sending a card copy in advance via email is not a big hassle.
They ask for it because many pilots have asked for AOPA discount, turned up at the airport, invoices were issued and then when asked for the card they said “ooops I forgot it” etc. etc. and insisted on the discount …

LGMG Megara, Greece
Sign in to add your message