Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Sweden

We are planning a trip with our Cessna RT182 for some 6 days to Sweden, as soon as COVID19 situation allows normal hotel and restaurant usage. The focus will be mainly to visit nice places, rather than spectecular flights. I hear the islands between Sweden and Finland are very nice. Anyone any tips, recommendations, on all, meaning airfield, fuel, restaurant, hotel, city visit, etc.?

Netherlands

If you are going so far then try and get to Helsinki before Malmi closes. Visby is worth a stop as is Mariehamn

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

If you would like 100LL or 91/96UL around the south of Sweden and 799 m asphalt direction 12/30 with no landing fee is good enough for you then let me know, you’re more than welcome to ESME.

ESME, ESMS

Check out Kumlinge in Finland which is one of those places you are talking about. They have a restaurant there that I hope still exist.

Bunge ESVB is also a very nice place. From there you can walk to the ferry and head over to Fårö which is beautiful. You might be able to borrow bikes there as well.

ESSZ, Sweden

Is there any restrictions in doing it now? Hotels and restaurants in Sweden are open as far as I know.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

pmh wrote:

Is there any restrictions in doing it now? Hotels and restaurants in Sweden are open as far as I know.

No formal restrictions in Sweden that would be relevant for a visitor. You are supposed to keep physical distance from other people as far as possible, e.g. when waiting in line.

Kumlinge is on Åland which is part of Finland. Until recently their borders were closed and may still be. They are easing up, but I don’t know exactly how.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 May 08:29
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You can’t go wrong with a pre-season flight to Gotland. I would say that is a must on a trip like yours! I have only done Visby (ESSV), park at the club and walk/bike/taxi into a beautiful town. Bunge (ESVB) seems to be a beautiful VFR field in the country side, check with owners about renting a car to walk the spectacular, unique beaches at Fårö.

Regarding Stockholm, most convenient is to do ESSB and park at the FBO. But, bring a fat wallet in that case and keep a close look at PPR requirements and opening hours. ESOW is the airport where are GA action is, but a good hour drive from Stockholm. VFR fields a bit closer are Skå-Edeby (ESSE, grass) and Norrtälje (ESSN, asphalt), but similar logistical challenges.

Maybe Säve ESGP for Gothenburg? Locals have to chime in.

Regarding the Covid-19 situation, I agree with Airborne-Again. Present recommendations from authorities (that Swedes in general seem to follow) is broadly to keep distance, not do unnecessary travel within the country/abroad and stay at home if you are 70+. Lots can happen in a few weeks.

Have a nice flight and report back!

PS: On the way up, maybe Rönne EKRN? Not for the town itself, but for a drive around the island. Could be very sleepy pre-season and in Covid-times, don’t know.. BUT, then you are in Denmark. Check about Covid-related regulations carefully. Latest was that boarders were completely closed, but things are openings up. Best to ask the Danes here on that one!

Last Edited by AndersB at 07 May 09:54
ESOW, Sweden

Rönne also has a very nice museum of modern art if I recall correctly and a rather nice ruined castle but you do need a car.

Never found anything nice in Rönne, so I have to check for that museum and castle! BUT, the island is so much more than Rönne itself and a car is for sure needed.

Last Edited by AndersB at 07 May 14:32
ESOW, Sweden

The museum and castle are not in the town.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message