Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA fly-in - Venice Lido LIPV, 18/19 May 2019

TurboProp_Joe wrote:

Venice Lido is a fantastic airfield; Grass-Runway is fine, well maintained.

What does well maintained mean? My only concern is that the runway be smooth since I have cantilever wings with tip tanks. Until the airspeed builds to a certain level the stress of the rough field is transmitted 100% to the wing spars. Which have had a history of developing cracks when this type of wing was operated from unimproved fields. Having the additional weight of tip tanks only exacerbates the problem.

But if the runway is anything like our former International airport LHBS, were Cessna 172s look as if they are flapping their wings to get airborne, I would have to pass. Otherwise the trip as always sounds good and I would like to go.

KHTO, LHTL

Having landwd at both, I would indeed put them on par, LIPV and LHBS…
The taxiway (ahem) is mildly better at LIPV
(Just my experience)

EDM_, Germany

Padova LIPU is just down the road. I might do that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks ch.ess From that info I will not go to LIPV The gear can handle it no problem. Im concerned with the wings.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter wrote:

What are the airport charges? We have similar class airplanes ie. < 2T

KHTO, LHTL

TBH I don’t see much sense in coming to fly-in and landing somewhere else (except if it’s landing to alternate caused by some reason).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Like ch.es, I have landed at both LHBS (used to be based there) and LIPV (several trips). I believe the LIPV runway is smoother but not perfect. From what you have said perhaps you should use an alternate. I will start a new tread on 210s and grass because this topic is of real interest.

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

From what you have said perhaps you should use an alternate.

I don’t see what’s the point of fly-in to particular location when some aircraft can’t even land (or take off from) there. I would like to see the table of aircraft which are planning to arrive (as we usually have when the date approaches) to see what people think about suitability of this runway to their aircrafts.

I’ve never been to LIPV (and I generally dislike grass runways because they are usually in poor condition) but I can see that the description of this runway through this thread somehow deteriorated from being excellent to poor.

Last Edited by Emir at 30 Dec 09:10
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It would be a shame that a fly-in (social event) organised by a web platform which want to gather airplane lovers split in two groups. It is a sign of how European GA (doesn’t) work
We could gather in Pasova but I (and others I guess) will want to put LIPV in their logbook anyway, so it would be a smalll detour.

What kind of place is Kempten ? Is it worth more than a short stop ? I would prefer to spend a night in Asiago if Kempten is not as full of charm.

LFOU, France

I think this has come up in a previous post for this and other fly-ins.

Normally, “grass” causes a 30-50% immediate dropout rate. I don’t know why so high, because normally grass is dominant on the “aeroclub” scene in Europe, but perhaps because most of those who attend fly-ins are a little more careful about where they land.

On this occassion, it was decided to go for this destination, because it is clearly popular and as an exercise in being “socially inclusive”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message