Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA fly-in - Venice Lido LIPV, 18/19 May 2019

Hi guys!
I’m waiting to see you all at Venice! Will be a very nice experience! I will come with my MCR4

LILB, Italy

If someone want to land and visit Como Lake, my airport is welcoming you!

LILB, Italy

Freddie wrote:

If someone want to land and visit Como Lake, my airport is welcoming you

Thanks Freddie ….. this looks to be a good destination

IFR flight crossing ALPS need minimum FL140…I.E LFPM-LIPV, Y FPL….with O2 (built-in O2 or bootle)…with my Bonanza F33A I would consider Mountain Hight CO PILOT2T O2 Bottle with Moustache oxymizer…any experienced with that solution ?

I agree with wiskeyPapa that the BRENNER pass, in quiet VFR weather, is the best way from France and Swiss (and probably west Germany).

May look good for this trip.

Adls
LFPU, France

correction in my previous post : the Simplon pass is the first route from FRANCE and from the west Germany as the Brenner pass is the first way from east and AUSTRIA. south wind could be difficult and bumpy even weather looks good.

Adls
LFPU, France

Hey everyone
Greets from Switzerland.

I will join you on 18/19 at lido. I will start from EDTG. So if anyone wants to stop over and meet up before the flight to lido, let me know.

Generally speaking you may choose to fly via Brenner pass or Resia lake both of which require 6000ft mnm altitude. Brenner has advantage if you fly from the north and cross Innsbruck. If you cross resia lake you have to approach from NW (via Switzerland) and cross sankt ankton with mnm 7000. So Innsbruck-brenner is your best bet flying vfr.

Switzerland

Now that I am pretty sure to fly there myself, I ask for your advice for the accomodation side.
What is your strategy ?
In general, when flying (VFR only), I try to not book hotels in advance, usually not before noon and at hotels that allow to cancel late (6pm at Accor hotels).
I am afraid of get-there-itis in fact.
I am not sure this can work at the Lido on saturday in May

So what do you do ? Do you book very early to get a good deal and screw it if you can’t make it, or fly there and look for a last minute offer ?
What is best suited to this area ?

LFOU, France

I book the hotel and take a chance on it

In my particular case, if I could not fly in the TB20, I might get an airline flight because I like to meet up with everyone.

Booking.com showed quite a few. Airb&b not so many, plus Airb&b is not reliable for short bookings (in popular locations) because the host is liable to bump you off if somebody wants a whole week.

Venice LIPV is reachable with a low level flight over the sea, so provided you can get out of France, it would take really bad wx to prevent the (VFR) flight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In that case Jujupilote: Use any accommodation in the general area (even on the mainland like Mestre etc..) that offers short notice cancellation. Then at least you have a price locked in. If you find something better a day before you can still change to this one. Better than shelling out absurd sums for a last minute booking because nothing is left.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks for the advice.
There is an affordable Mercure in Mestre, but getting back to Mestre after the dinner in Lido will be a PITA, if it is even possible at all. It makes little sense, especially with the airplane parked at Lido.

Peter, I don’t like booking.com because you can’t cancel just when weather forecast start to be accurate (about 72h before).
For one night, I could forget about it, but for 2 nights it is a sum I can’t waste. I plan to arrive on Saturday and leave on Monday.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 11 Jan 20:22
LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message