Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA fly-in - Venice Lido LIPV, 18/19 May 2019

Been there recently in SR22 & DA42 and the runway was fine, not the best but far from causing any problem.
Some pros for Lido: Scenic flying environment (500feet along the adriatic coast), historic little airfield close to venice, walking distance beach, restaurants and accommodation on Lido. In May the prices for hotels are reasonable.
Crossing the alps further east to avoid the higher peaks is an option.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 16 Nov 08:58
always learning
LO__, Austria

Just in case I might do it anyway, 25th of May looks fine.

ESME, ESMS

a_kraut wrote:

Suggest 25. May

Unable. Big family commitment on May 26th.
Last time I was in VCE end of May it was already (too) high season.
February was perfect, if a bit rainy and cold.
The runway has excellent drainage, unlike a lot of crappy strips, but it is a little bumpy.
Wx is a gamble before May, though.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Lido’s grass runway doesn’t seem bad to me (have landed there multiple times). I also recommend Lido for hotels. Not only are they cheaper, but you don’t have the unbelievable crowds you get in the center of Venice, and it is easy to get to the main sites on the vaporetto.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 17 Nov 07:27
Tököl LHTL

Does it have any dodgy transitions e.g. grass to tarmac, and any prop strike history?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There’s a small gravel area between hard surface parking and grass runway. I guess it is there to keep the area level and avoid dodgy steps from grass to tarmac.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Is it possible to pull a plane over that with a towbar? One can’t taxi (slowly) over gravel under power, without prop damage.

Administrator

You could park on the grass and not go over the gravel alltogether. So far I’ve never seen anybody use a towbar to cross the gravel, everybody just taxis over it under power.
Lido is a nice experience, the approach close to venice, the easy access to the city and the beach/restaurants on the island. But it is a grass runway and it is bumpy.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Where is the nearest hard runway, with easy transport? Padova? Tessera is close but pricey?

Administrator

LIPZ is expensive (I heard 200-400€). LIPH/LIPU are sort of close. That negates all the advantages of LIPV though. GA at most larger airports in Italy can be a hassle (no avgas etc..).

LJPZ is nice too and has asphalt. Just a short taxi ride from Piran.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message