Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Algeria + Tunisia - VFR permits

I have the details of several overflight agents here.

Most people who fly outside the “developed world” use these. Loco above has done some amazing trips – example – and I see he mentions White Rose.

Whether it is possible to “get away with it” in Algeria and Tunisia is an interesting Q. Quite a lot of GA flies to Morocco and they do it without any permits; this came up here many times. @vrh and @jojo might know more. Algeria is just “next door” and might be similar. These French speaking countries / former French colonies are popular with French pilots. Tunisia I have no idea; don’t recall anyone having gone there recently. @aeroplus might know more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Algeria is just “next door” and might be similar.

Nope, it isn’t. Morocco is dead easy, essentially like flying in Europe, Algeria needs all sorts of permits and preps. It certainly can be done, but requires some serious prep work.

Tunisia, I think katamarino did one in 2010 on a DA40/JetA? probably lot have changed in the country since 2011…

Algeria is a bit of no-mans land for GA even within French aeroclub circles, personally, I would try other easy places first (I bet many other places in Africa are much easier), in the other hand the VFR scenery is astonishing compared neighbours (have a look for book/film “Algeria From Above” by Yann Arthus-Bertrand)

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Dec 20:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

If I can still find his email, I’ll PM it to you, lost contact with him.

Found his contact, but his email address is dead. Sorry.

Ibra is correct, I went around Tunisia in a DA40/Jet-A in 2010. It was all pretty straightforward. Did Tunis, Tozeur, and Djerba. I’d have liked a bit more time in each spot in retrospect, as we only had one night in the latter two.

One interesting gotcha was that they would not allow us to bring a radio or GPS into the country, but it was fine if we left them airside in the airplane.

I have used White Rose for permits before, with good result, and also can strongly recommend General Aviation Support Egypt (GASE). They’re a very professional lot and the best value I’ve found.

Also as Ibra says, things may have changed in 8 years…!

Last Edited by Katamarino at 31 Dec 07:19
Kent, UK

We did this tour in 2013, that included Algiers (DAAG) and Djerba, Tunesia (DTTJ):

We flew IFR, the information is quite old and our Mooney takes Avgas, so this might be of limited use for the OP, but anyway.

The AIP of Algeria is in fact French only, however, we were able to obtain the required permits with the info provided there in. We did not make use of any of the service providers. There was one number used for fax and phone. They insisted to have the application by fax but you had to call first so they could configure their device. It took us countless phone calls and being fluent in French was essential, both to organize the permits, as well as later in the country.

Tunesia was easier again. There are permits required as well, but the AIP is available in English and authorities were a bit more responsive. We could even explain to them, that Algeria was difficult and we had to be a bit flexible with the date of arrival.

Neither in Algiers nor in Djerba did we contract handling. We could not get contact to any agency in Algiers even though we tried. Everything took ages in DAAG but in the end we managed to refuel, get to the terminal and clear customs. Note that a visa is required to enter Algeria. We took the gamble and arrived without one and could enter on a permis d’escale.

In hindsight it might have been better to contract a handler in Djerba as it wouldn’t have been too expensive, reportedly around 50 Euros. Self handling was not a drama and people were friendly but it really took a long time to sort everything out, especially on departure.

Fees were reasonable in Algiers and quite cheap in Tunesia but these things change quickly. There is no Avgas in Djerba, reportedly the only place in Tunesia where it is available is Sfax, but we didn’t try. Fuel was really cheap in Algiers.

Last Edited by terbang at 31 Dec 10:43
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Now we have two threads about DAAG, I replied to the other one, so @speed you may want to look here or @Peter might merge them?

Last Edited by terbang at 31 Dec 10:52
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Merged

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is not overly complicated to get the clearances for most countries in Africa if you can get your hands on the AIP documentation, the right contacts and can establish communication with them. Sometimes, it can be a better option to use a clearance office like GASE or White Rose Aviation. There are more of these companies based in Asia and Africa. Handling is also something that is not needed most of the time and if you do get handling, you will find that it includes nothing more than just a guy that walks with you from one office to the next to deal with all the paperwork. In some cases, it pays off to do the handling to save time.

I wrote a book about flying in or through Africa that discusses what all is involved in flying through the African continent which is also available as a Kindle ebook from Amazon.

I personally have by now been flying through most countries in Africa myself in a GA aircraft and enjoy it very much. There is a sense of adventure in it that can not be found with the flying in Europe. Prepare well, plan the fuel part carefully and then enjoy the trip!

EDLE, Netherlands

Thank you very much for your kind answers.

I have contacted Swissport in Constantine (DABC) since that is my first planned stop. I have asked for parking, fuel and flight permits. I plan to use a Permis d’escale as Visa. If they can’t help me with the paperwork or their fees are too expensive, I will use the contacts provided in the AIP. My french is limited but I think it will be enough.

Wish me good luck, I will keep you updated.

Speed

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain
Sign in to add your message