Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Expo Friedrichshafen EDNY 10-13 April 2019

If someone would like a ride (with a car..) from the show to (in in the direction of) Zürich airport on the saturday send me a PM. I’d be leaving around 14:00, maybe a little earlier if it is heavy IMC.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter wrote:

Some background info here

Really interesting piece – thanks! One point on FF flight plan filing at the end; you state you cannot file within 1hr EOBT…this isn’t true, I often file IFR with less than that

EGSX

Somebody just told me that on that day, specifically re Foreflight. If it is wrong, which ones are you doing it with – VFR or IFR?

Generally of course you can file right up to EOBT, or minutes before, and I have done that many times, both VFR and IFR. But I have never filed a FP with Foreflight; I have only ever just played around with their web version.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve filed with ForeFlight IFR about 10-15min EOBT. Never tried VFR.

EGSX

Peter wrote:

I have done that many times, both VFR and IFR. But I have never filed a FP with Foreflight; I have only ever just played around with their web version

You’re supposed to file IFR 60 minutes before EOBT. Some filing services enforce that, but Eurocontrol doesn’t mind. Of course you run the risk that your flight plan is not delivered in time.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks all. I removed the comment about the 1hr from my article. I was given that by one FF user…

Eurocontrol IFR FPs get distributed in seconds. There is no issue with filing at EOBT minus say 1 minute. Well, except for the much bigger chance of getting a CTOT.

VFR FPs go via the AFTN and either pop up on a monitor somewhere or get printed out; in some cases they are printed out and faxed (to a small airport which has no AFTN connection).

You’re supposed to file IFR 60 minutes before EOBT.

I have never seen a credible reference for that. The Eurocontrol system doesn’t implement such a rule, anyway.

Some filing services enforce that

They might, just for a laugh, but it serves no purpose other than inconvenience. Especially with a VFR flight, where to depart all that is needed is the tower having a copy, probably nobody enroute will see it anyway, and so long as the destination tower has a copy by the time you get there, there is no issue.

I wonder what the slot situation looks like for EDNY now, for those who haven’t booked the slot?

The performance of their server suggests it is running on a Nokia 808

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pretty much all the slots are gone now…

What happens if one has a vfr slot for 12:20-12:40 UTC and shows up half an hour early?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

Eurocontrol IFR FPs get distributed in seconds.

Sure, but the recipient has to process them. E.g. if an ATC unit uses paper strips, then someone must write the strip for your flight. And even if they have computer support, it is not a given that delivery to the ATC position is instantaneous.

Peter wrote:

I have never seen a credible reference for that.

SERA.4001(d): Unless a shorter period of time has been prescribed by the competent authority for domestic VFR flights, a flight plan for any flight planned to operate across international borders or to be provided with air traffic control service or air traffic advisory service shall be submitted at least 60 minutes before departure, or, if submitted during flight, at a time which will ensure its receipt by the appropriate ATS unit at least 10 minutes before the aircraft is estimated to reach:
(1) the intended point of entry into a control area or advisory area; or
(2) the point of crossing an airway or advisory route

So I’ve planned on flying in VFR on Wednesday or Thursday, sometime before noon. I didn’t get up early enough in the morning and of course missed all the slots. Does anyone have actual experience arriving without a slot? What are the chances that they won’t let you land? My PAX would be quiet disappointed if we couldn’t make it to the exhibition…

Also, did anyone have their VFR flight plan cancelled? If I understand correctly, the ones mentioned so far were IFR…

Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one