Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip report: Southern Europe 2018 Tour with a S22T

Hi all!
Last year in May I’ve travelled with my friend Luca with a SR22 Turbo down to Canaries Islands from Italy and back. He was the PIC as he is the only one to have the Cirrus Transition course and so I was very happy to fly as a co-pilot being in charge of the airport choice, flight planning and hotel booking (which is actually what I like aas much as flying itself). We flew all the trip in VFR and the whole trip lasted 15 days with approximately 30 hours of flight time.

• May 23rd: We departed from Ozzano nell’Emilia (LIKO), where the airplane is currently based, inbound to Calvi (LFKC) for a short fuel stop. After the short fuel stop, we flew to Son Bonet (LESB) which is a beautiful airport close to Palma de Mallorca.

• May 24th: We left Son Bonet (LESB) for Granada (LEGR) where we visited the beautiful Alhambra.

• May 25th: After all the brief departing customs procedures, we left Granada for a long flight to Marrakech (GMMX). The flight was really nice and weather was so great it was so beautiful surfing between all the cumulus clouds. We passed to the customs (easy procedure) and we stayed one night in the city.

• May 26th: We left Morocco in the morning inbound to Lanzarote (GCRR) airport where we spent a day exploring the beautiful island. The customs procedures were easy and the fuel price really good. The landing fees were also really cheap.

• May 27th: After a not so long flight, we arrived in La Gomera (GCGM) which is a really nice airport located in a small vulcanic island.

• May 28th: We left La Gomera for a very short flight to La Palma (GCLA). La Palma is another scenic and beautiful airport totally worth a visit. We rented a car and drove up to the Roque de los Muchachos (2400m mountain) where the view is simply astonishing
  • May 29th: Since there was no fuel in La Gomera and La Palma (as planned) we had to back to Lanzarote for a cheap re-fuelling in order to fly to Madeira (LPMA). Yes! The world famous airport known to be a bit dangerous. Luckly, the weather was great and so the landing and approach was really easy. The landing fees (without using the landing) were really low. Totally recommend a visit.

• May 31st: After a relaxing stay of 2 days in Madeira, we took off for a very long flight to Portimao (LPPM) in Portugal. We climbed up to FL150 and we used the oxygen masks. Another very smooth a relaxing flight above the ocean. We after arrived in Portimao and enjoyed the local town and area with a rental car.

• June 1st: We flew to Cascais (LPCS) which is a very busy GA airport close to Lisbon. The spent two days there visiting Cascais, Sintra and Lisbon. Stunning places as well.

• June 3rd: Unfurtunately the wather got worse in the north part of Spain and Portugal and we had to change our plans to continue north-east for the northern coast and France. So we decided to fly to Ibiza (LEIB) for 2 final relaxing days under the sun. The flight was great at FL155 since there was a lot of tailwind (GS of 215!) and Ibiza was shining under the sun. The airport is a really expensive in regard to landing and screening fees.

• June 5th: After another fuel stop in Son Bonet, we flew back to Ozzano where everything started.

This was my first long flying trip in Europe and I must say i really liked it. A lot of pros points since after every flight you are getting to somewhere new and a totally different place. The only con is that, as you all know, planning is very tricky since there are tons of rules and procedures to be followed for each airport and flight (really another world compared to US).
In case you need, I’ve also reviewed most of the airport I’ve visited on you-fly.com.

Hope you liked it! If you have questions or curiosities, please answer here or simply write me a PM.

Marco

Last Edited by Mark0505 at 30 Jan 16:21
LILV, Italy

Some nice photos especially the landing shots, and it’s good to hear it was all possible VFR.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Somehow the pictures cannot be seen …

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

Somehow the pictures cannot be seen …

Sorry. Now they should be visible

LILV, Italy

Nice tip and nice bird.

ESMK, Sweden

The routing is somehow unusual compared to trip reports we already have seen, very interesting. Could you please give the prices for fuel and landing fees?

Berlin, Germany

highflyer wrote:

The routing is somehow unusual compared to trip reports we already have seen, very interesting. Could you please give the prices for fuel and landing fees?

Sure. I do not remember much but I’ll try to dig into my memory to remember approximate fuel prices and fees.

Calvi (LFKC): Landing fees for just a fuel stop around 30€ and fuel around 2 euro/liter (tax included)
Son Bonet (LESB): Landing fees for an overnight around 20€ and fuel around 1,8 euro/liter (no tax-commercial flight)/3,2 euro/liter (tax included). Check NOTAM for fueling times and expect deep docs check by Guardia Civil.
Grenada (LEGR): Landing fees for an overnight around 130€ (handling mandatory). Fuel around 2,8 euro/liter (tax included).
Marrakech (GMMX): Landing fees for an overnight around 200€ (handling mandatory). Fuel around 3 euro/liter (tax included).
Lanzarote (GCRR): Landing fees for an overnight around 30€. Fuel around 1,8 euro/liter (no tax-commercial flight)/3,2 euro/liter (tax included)
La Gomera (GCGM): Landing fees for an overnight around 20€. No fuel.
La Palma (GCLA): Landing fees for an overnight around 20€. No fuel.
Madeira (LPMA): Landing fees for 2 overnights around 40€. Fuel around 3,0 euro/liter (tax included).
Portimao (LPPM): Landing fees for 1 overnight around 30€. Fuel around 2,5 euro/liter (tax included).
Cascais (LPCS): Landing fees for 2 overnight around 60€. Fuel around 2,3 euro/liter (tax included).
Ibiza (LEIB): Landing fees for 2 overnights around 550€ (No joke!) (Handling mandatory) We did not refuel here.

LILV, Italy

A really nice trip. I would love to fly to LPMA once. How long did you need for the leg from GCRR to LPMA and from LPMA to LPPM? Wich TAS and which GS?

EDDS , Germany

From GCRR to LPMA it was a 1:40 hours flight a avarage GS 160 kts (FL065)
From LPMA to LPPM it was around 2:40 hours with an avarage GS of 180 kts (FL130)

Last Edited by Mark0505 at 30 Jan 22:27
LILV, Italy

Very cool report and nice plane! Enjoyed reading it! Thanks!

always learning
LO__, Austria
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message